none
How to set a program to run at startup in alternative shell RRS feed

• Question

• I need to run a program at system startup, but I am having trouble doing it with Embedded 7.  I tried putting a shortcut in the Start Menu / Startup folder but it didn't work.  I am running the system with an alternate program as the shell and the Command prompt as the Windows shell when I actually go to windows.  The image does not have MSCONFIG or any other startup editor installed.  How can I set a program to run at system startup when Windows doesn't "really" start unless you manually do it through the alternate shell?
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 11:57 PM

Answers

• OK, found out how to do it.  I had to create a task in Task Scheduler that was set to run every time the computer turned on.  This allows the program to startup and run in the background behind our shell, as well as allowing the program the administrative access it needs.  Creating an entry in the HKLM_Software_Microsoft_Windows_CurrentVersion_Run section of the registry did not work, nor did creating a batch file that started both programs.
    • Marked as answer by Deadshot42 Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:37 PM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:34 PM

All replies

• The only way a shortcut in the startup folder would work is if you were using Explorer shell.

Did you configure the Command Prompt feature package to launch this alternative shell? Or do you want this program to be the shell?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Friday, June 4, 2010 12:22 AM
  • The alternate program is set in the registry to run as the shell, the command prompt shell never opens until you open it through the alternate shell.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Is this alternate shell your application? Can you have it launch the program that you want to launch using the shortcut?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Friday, June 4, 2010 3:21 AM
  • The alternate shell is a different program, though it needs the one I want to run at startup for parts of it to function properly.  The startup program does not need to be accessible, it only needs to run in the background behind the alternate shell.

Friday, June 4, 2010 3:38 AM
  • You need to create a program that launches both programs.

-Sean

Friday, June 4, 2010 5:17 AM
  • How would I do that?  We need to be able to do it without Windows booting.  Would I create a batch file or something similar that the registry shell command points to?
    Friday, June 4, 2010 5:23 AM
  • OK, found out how to do it.  I had to create a task in Task Scheduler that was set to run every time the computer turned on.  This allows the program to startup and run in the background behind our shell, as well as allowing the program the administrative access it needs.  Creating an entry in the HKLM_Software_Microsoft_Windows_CurrentVersion_Run section of the registry did not work, nor did creating a batch file that started both programs.
    • Marked as answer by Deadshot42 Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:37 PM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:34 PM