none
SQL Database Project - How to reverse engineer into an extended file structure?

Question

• I have a developer on my team who has created a database project and is using a peculiar file and folder layout where all object types are in their own nested folders, with folders for each table. He's not around to ask, though I have a feeling he did this manually, but is there any way to reverse engineer an existing database into this sort of ultra-broken down project format?

• Edited by Shadowfoxish Monday, January 09, 2017 10:58 PM title
    Monday, January 09, 2017 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Shadowfoxish,

>>He's not around to ask, though I have a feeling he did this manually

I agree with you, in my side, when I import a database from sql server, I cannot get the same structure as above screenshot. I think this need to be done manually.

>>but is there any way to reverse engineer an existing database into this sort of ultra-broken down project format?

If you want to import a database form the existing SQL Server, please refer to the following steps from the following link:

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2971/creating-a-visual-studio-database-project-for-an-existing-sql-server-database/

But we could not import the database based on the above structure (from your screenshot).

If I misunderstand your issue, please feel free to let me know :)

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by qing__Moderator Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shadowfoxish Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:12 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Shadowfoxish,

>>He's not around to ask, though I have a feeling he did this manually

I agree with you, in my side, when I import a database from sql server, I cannot get the same structure as above screenshot. I think this need to be done manually.

>>but is there any way to reverse engineer an existing database into this sort of ultra-broken down project format?

If you want to import a database form the existing SQL Server, please refer to the following steps from the following link:

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2971/creating-a-visual-studio-database-project-for-an-existing-sql-server-database/

But we could not import the database based on the above structure (from your screenshot).

If I misunderstand your issue, please feel free to let me know :)

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by qing__Moderator Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shadowfoxish Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:12 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:22 AM
  • Thanks. That's pretty much what I expected, just wanted to see if I missed something somewhere :)
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:26 PM
  • Hi Shadowfoxish,

Please remember to mark my above reply as answer, which could help others who have the same issue as yours. Thank you very much :)

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:47 AM
  • As a followup, I talked to the dev again; he says there was a way to do it in an older version of Visual Studio, so you'd reverse engineer with whatever version that was and then upgrade the project to latest.
    Monday, January 16, 2017 6:58 PM
  • Hi Shadowfoxish,

Would you please share me which version of VS and SQL Server their used?

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:01 AM
  • Not 100%, but seems it was VS 2010
    Monday, January 23, 2017 4:20 PM
  • Hi Shadowfoxish,

In my side, I installed VS2010, but I could not get the screenshot as you posted above.:(

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Friday, January 27, 2017 3:19 AM