How to Update the live tile with more than 5 items in Win 8 Metro style apps

Question

• Hi,

In my metro application I have to update my live tile with more than 5 items. By default it is showing 5 items only. How to update my tile with next items after the 5th item.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:45 AM

Answers

• You can provide only 5 tiles to switch through at a time.

If you need more you will need to replace some of the tiles with new ones in a later notification. Trying to loop through a large number of tiles does not sound like a good user experience. If the information is important it is likely to be missed. If it isn't important then it should be reasonably limited to just the five most important pieces.

I would recommend you redesign your app to display the records in a different way. Perhaps you can create a summary tile if you have many records and let the user click through to see the full details.

--Rob

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:55 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi,

You could change your tile's content through notifications.

#Quickstart: Sending a tile update (Windows Store apps using JavaScript and HTML)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465439.aspx

#Quickstart: Setting up periodic notifications (Windows Store apps using JavaScript and HTML)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh761476.aspx

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Microsoft One Code Framework

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:57 AM
  • Hi Song Tian ,

I am not able to implement after seeing the suggested links by you. In my app I will get the records more than 5 from the database and I will put those records in an collection. So accordingly I need to update my first 5 records in the first iteration after completion of showing those first 5 items I need to display the next 5 items which are already stored in the collection.

please give me a piece of code for this requirement.

any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:21 AM
  • You can provide only 5 tiles to switch through at a time.

If you need more you will need to replace some of the tiles with new ones in a later notification. Trying to loop through a large number of tiles does not sound like a good user experience. If the information is important it is likely to be missed. If it isn't important then it should be reasonably limited to just the five most important pieces.

I would recommend you redesign your app to display the records in a different way. Perhaps you can create a summary tile if you have many records and let the user click through to see the full details.

--Rob

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:55 PM
    Owner