none
Generic reporting solution across Winform, WPF, Asp.NET RRS feed

• Question

• With plethora of technologies available, the developing reports for different technologies poses challenges.  Would it be  feasible to have on generic reporting solution which can be used across Winforms, WPF and asp.net applications?

Please mark this as "Answer" or "Vote as helpful" if it has resolved your issue/question/problem.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 6:56 AM

All replies

• Do look into the crystal report from Microsoft. Any doubts do ask help from Microsoft. 
    Monday, June 20, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Depends what you mean by generic.

You can use the same crystal report or sql report in all of them.

There's a report viewer in winforms and asp, you'd need to use the winforms or asp.net viewer in wpf.

You could write the data access so it could be used in all 3.

With reporting I prefer to separate out the data extract from the report.  So I design a crystal report against a dummy table.  At run time I extract and refine the data, substitute it for the source crystal is built against. 

Monday, June 20, 2011 10:44 AM
  • Generic means having a single component servicing different client technologies like winforms, WPF, Web etc. The client code would provide the choice of technology and the details of report file, data (set) and a report compatible with the client technology would be called for.

Andy,

Your recommendations are good for designing the reporting engine.

Thanks.

Please mark this as "Answer" or "Vote as helpful" if it has resolved your issue/question/problem.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Everything but the form the report viewer control goes on could be the same.  Although obviously making caching exactly the same might be unattractive for a web server as compared to a fat client.

I also recommend LINQ and the pipes and filters pattern where the user will have flexible selection of criteria.

The sort of screens where every time you have a meeting with the business the blighters ask for more criteria and more flexibility are a nightmare otherwise.

I also have a preference for Crystal over SSRS as a generic solution.

Although Crystal can be quite a nuisance to work with, it's very powerful.

I always thought it was a pity MS never did a .Net version of Access though.

I've no idea how they could have made the Acccess reporting work for .Net but it's a great tool.

Well worth considering if you ever have a requirement for reports written and generated by some sort of power user.   Or interim reporting.

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:32 PM
  • You may want to give Active Reports 6 a try,it offers exception reporting capabilities and is supported on SilverLight ,Web Forms and WinForms.You can also extend its capabilities to WPF and LightSwitch as well.You can get more information on Active Reports 6 here and using Active Reports in SilverLight here.

Here are a few links from the Active Reports 6 Blog which have some description about :

Using Active Reports with WPF:  http://www.gcpowertools.info/2011/08/how-to-host-active-reports-end-user.html

Using Active Reports with SilverLight: http://www.gcpowertools.info/2011/09/how-to-pass-connection-string-from.html

Using Active Reports with LightSwitch:  http://www.gcpowertools.info/2011/08/how-to-show-report-created-with-active.html

Friday, November 18, 2011 6:20 PM