none
Right Click Interactive Button Properties has vanished RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Expression Web for what seems for ever but all of a sudden when I right click on an interactive button the "button Properties" option has vanished.

Have I inadvertently turned something off ?

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:31 PM

All replies

• Is there some error message? 
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:50 PM
  • No the option just isn't there anymore. The other options all appear, its only the "button properties" that seems to have vanished.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:21 PM
  • Since I never use those, all I can suggest is: put a new interactive button on a new blank page. Does the button properties menu appear when you right-click it?  If so, check Code View and compare the new one with the one that doesn't have the button properties appear and see how they differ.
    • Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:46 AM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:30 AM
  • Most peculiar, if I create a new website, then a new page and add an interactive button the function works perfectly. In code view at a line level the entries look identical.

This would seem to suggest that there is some global setting somehwere in the affected site that turns it off or blocks it. Try as I may I cannot find it.

It seems a bit drastic to scrap the 2 affected sites

Clive

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:36 PM
  • There is no such setting. You might want to run FPCleaner (google, download the version that matches your EW version) and see if you have some corrupt data that, when cleared out and recreated, solves the problem.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 10:40 PM
  • You don't have to scrap the 2 sites. But you should scrap those interactive buttons. Look around the web; nobody has used them for years. They were included in EW for backwards compatability with old Front Page sites.

They are old, clunky javascript junk that has been replaced in all new sites with simple CSS menus.

Look at any of the EW templates. All the menus are nothing but simple unordered lists styled in CSS, just like everything else on the site. Plus, they'll work on devices that have javascript disabled; yours won't.

Go to www.cssplay.co.uk to see just how cool plain CSS menus can be.

My guess is that they got corrupted (even though you say they look identical)--maybe a search-and-replace gone awry?

Think of it this way...if there were a global setting messing them up, the new ones you created wouldn't work either, right?

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?"

"Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue."

It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:15 AM
  • Thanks everyone, I'll replace them
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:25 PM
  • Clive, if you are interested in seeing two of the simpler, more standards-compliant methods of achieving rollover buttons, take a look at this example page I created to illustrate using either javascript (top) or CSS (bottom) to create rollover effects. You can create your own button images, or google "button creator" to find hundreds of online button generators.

If you right-click that page and select "View Source," you will see how much cleaner and more straightforward either method is (actually most of the source code is in the CSS at the top in the <head>) than all of that garbage, bloated, antiquated, obtrusive, crap javascript that EW generates for even a single Interactive Button.

Feel free to use any of the HTML or CSS source code in that page; that's why I created it. Play around with it a bit and I think you'll agree that using modern, compliant methods is far superior to that junk that EW creates, that was basically brought forward from FP 2000. ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:02 PM