Operator Precedence RRS feed

• Question

• I would like a list of logical, relational, equality, and mathematical operators and their order of precedence in Small Basic.  I can't seem to find it any where.  THANKS in advance for any help!
    Monday, August 9, 2010 5:06 AM

Answers

• No formal documentation as yet that I know of apart from the Tutorial PDF, but a little test shows:

TextWindow.WriteLine(3-2+6)
    TextWindow.WriteLine(3+6-2)

TextWindow.WriteLine(3+2*6)
    TextWindow.WriteLine(3*6+2)

TextWindow.WriteLine(3+2/6)
    TextWindow.WriteLine(3/6+2)

TextWindow.WriteLine(3*2/6)
    TextWindow.WriteLine(3/6*2)

Therefore * and / are equal precedence and are above + and -

Other opertators are inside the Math function (SquareRoot, Trig, Min etc) and are therefore not true operators
    The logical And and Or can be used in If statements to make compound logical statements with equal precedence
    The comparitors =, <, <=, >, >= and <> can be used to give logical results for If conditionals and can be used with the string variables "True" and "False".
    Currently some of the <, > etc don't work with String variables, only +, = and <> work with strings.

X[1] = "Hello"
    If (1<>2 Or Array.ContainsIndex(X,1) And Array.ContainsIndex(X,2)="False") Then
      Sound.PlayChimesAndWait()
    EndIf
    If ("Hello" < "Goodbye" Or "Hello" > "Goodbye" Or "Hello" = "Goodbye") Then
      Sound.PlayChimesAndWait() 'Fails
    EndIf 
    If ("Hello" <> "Goodbye") Then
      Sound.PlayBellRingAndWait()
    EndIf

All variables are of Type Primitive , and interpreted depending on context at compile time

TextWindow.WriteLine("2"+3)
    TextWindow.WriteLine("A"+3)
    pi = Math.Pi
    TextWindow.WriteLine("pi = "+pi)
    TextWindow.WriteLine(6/"two") ' returns 0 as a failure

As usual, I wouldn't assume precedence, rather use brackets to make things clear, in any case, +- and */ are the only ones to worry about I think.

• Marked as answer by litdev Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:10 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:01 PM

All replies

• go to the site smallbasic.com and click to

Tutorial (PDF)                        or

Referencce Documentation     or

Wiki                                     or

Recipes.

Best Regards Martin
    Monday, August 9, 2010 9:32 AM
  • Thanks for your quick reply, however none of those links have a list of operators with the order of precedence.  For example, if you click this site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fw84t893%28VS.80%29.aspx you'll find the operators and order of precedence for Visual Basic .NET.  There are sites with the same information for C, C++, C# and most other languages.  Believe it or not, the operators and precedence are NOT identical between languages.

So what I'm looking for is a list of all available Small Basic operators, logical, relational, equity and mathematical, and the appropriate order of precedence.  I teach computer science and in order to use any language well, you need to know the operators available.

Thanks again, Lisa

Monday, August 9, 2010 9:44 PM
  • No formal documentation as yet that I know of apart from the Tutorial PDF, but a little test shows:

TextWindow.WriteLine(3-2+6)
    TextWindow.WriteLine(3+6-2)

TextWindow.WriteLine(3+2*6)
    TextWindow.WriteLine(3*6+2)

TextWindow.WriteLine(3+2/6)
    TextWindow.WriteLine(3/6+2)

TextWindow.WriteLine(3*2/6)
    TextWindow.WriteLine(3/6*2)

Therefore * and / are equal precedence and are above + and -

Other opertators are inside the Math function (SquareRoot, Trig, Min etc) and are therefore not true operators
    The logical And and Or can be used in If statements to make compound logical statements with equal precedence
    The comparitors =, <, <=, >, >= and <> can be used to give logical results for If conditionals and can be used with the string variables "True" and "False".
    Currently some of the <, > etc don't work with String variables, only +, = and <> work with strings.

X[1] = "Hello"
    If (1<>2 Or Array.ContainsIndex(X,1) And Array.ContainsIndex(X,2)="False") Then
      Sound.PlayChimesAndWait()
    EndIf
    If ("Hello" < "Goodbye" Or "Hello" > "Goodbye" Or "Hello" = "Goodbye") Then
      Sound.PlayChimesAndWait() 'Fails
    EndIf 
    If ("Hello" <> "Goodbye") Then
      Sound.PlayBellRingAndWait()
    EndIf

All variables are of Type Primitive , and interpreted depending on context at compile time

TextWindow.WriteLine("2"+3)
    TextWindow.WriteLine("A"+3)
    pi = Math.Pi
    TextWindow.WriteLine("pi = "+pi)
    TextWindow.WriteLine(6/"two") ' returns 0 as a failure

As usual, I wouldn't assume precedence, rather use brackets to make things clear, in any case, +- and */ are the only ones to worry about I think.

• Marked as answer by litdev Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:10 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:01 PM
  • THANK YOU!
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:24 AM