none
"run as administrator" credentials RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that resides on a server.  Win/XP & Win/7 workstations are connected to the server.  Win/XP has no problems.  On the Win/7 workstations, users are required to right-click and "run as administrator" in order to invoke the program on the server.  No big deal.  A little 2-second zig-zag.  The problem is that the program thus invoked, sometimes makes calls to CMD.  These work fine unless they reference a file on a network share (for example, DIR N:\FOLDERNAME > ListofFiles.txt).  I suspect that the elevated user has lost his network share mapping.  How can I regain the network share mapping of the original user ? or how can I tell Win/7 that it's Ok to run the network-program without having to "run as administrator" ?

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Shogun,

> How can I regain the network share mapping of the original user?

I recommend you to build mapping Network Drives on both normal user and administrator.

How to map Network Drives in Windows 7

> How can I tell Win/7 that it's Ok to run the network-program without having to "run as administrator”?

Per my understanding, you could not avoid to talk to UAC unless you turn off the UAC.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691(v=ws.10).aspx about UAC.

I suggest you to keep the UAC on your computer because it is “A little 2-second zig-zag.”

Best Regards,

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:40 AM