Shape data to appear on Hover? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to get the Shape data (i am using visio services) to appear whn you hover on a shape, rather then having to click the shape itself?.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:38 PM

Answers

• Yes, quite easy. Go into the shape's shapesheet, find the Comment cell and enter

=Prop.<shape data name>

where <shape data name> is the name of the shape data (you can also find this in the shapesheet in the ShapeData section.

-- Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ Engineering and software shapes for Visio.
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Herber Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:41 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 9:36 AM

All replies

• the best you're going to get on a 'hover' is a screentip.

al

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Al Edlund Visio MVP
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:10 AM
  • Yes, quite easy. Go into the shape's shapesheet, find the Comment cell and enter

=Prop.<shape data name>

where <shape data name> is the name of the shape data (you can also find this in the shapesheet in the ShapeData section.

-- Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ Engineering and software shapes for Visio.
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Herber Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:41 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Great sounds just what I need, how do I go into the shape's Shapesheet? if I right-click and select define shaep data I get co,umns, but none are comments, is there somewhere else i need to look?.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:50 PM
  • ok, I found the shapesheet, found comment cell, it has data already in it:

=INDEX(0,INDEX(0,MASTERNAME(),":"),".")

do i remove this and replace with

=Prop.<shape data name>

not sure what the Shape data name is,

sorry first time I have ever used Visio

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:00 PM
  • The <shape data name> is whatever the name is of the property you wish to display, the name is the in the list of properties.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Paul I cant seem to get this to work can you help a little with more in-depth instructions, Where in the shapesheet is the Comment field located?. I can enter a line in user Defined section, if I use that and follow the intructions, nothing changes. I also want to show all the data related to that shape, which is name, email , extension number etc, is this possible?.

The Shape Sheet shows many lines of code and as I am new to this I need really basic and in-depth instructions.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:47 PM
  • This "quite easy" reply could be elucidated a little to make it easier.

Right-click a Shape and select Show ShapeSheet from the context menu.

The Comment property is in the Miscellaneous section.

One example of a formula for this field is shown below, using a column of the External Data [Data > Link Data to Shapes ...] named "HoverText":

Prop._VisDM_HoverText

Formulas can be more complex, concatenating multiple fields, etc.

C#/ASP.NET/SQL/VB developer

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:45 PM
  • Hello -

I am stuck on getting the external data in my visio document to show as mouse over of the shape data.

My shape data shows all the external fields I want.  In the shapesheet userdefinedcells, The visEquivTitle is set to =Comment.
    My comment field looks like this:
    =Prop._VisDM_Name  

After closing the shapesheet and save the document.  what I get with the mouse over is not the name from the linked external data but the contents of the comment field.

???? How can I get the hover over to mirror the shape data box?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:47 PM