none
How do I create an MFC application in VS? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I create an MFC application in Microsoft's Visual Studio 2008 professional edition without wizards, or any added code?
    I want to create strait-forward MFC applications for learning purposes, and would like to be in tottal control of every bit of code.
    Can somebody please help me do this?
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 5:31 AM

Answers

• Hello RaisinToe,

1. Better grab a copy of Programming Windows with MFC byJeff Prosise. Its the ultimate reference for learning MFC. 
    2. You can also refer this MFC Tutorial Collection . It teaches you how to code MFC without wizards at beginning and then advanced topics too.

Regards,
    Jijo.

http://weseetips.com [^ ] Visual C++ tips and tricks. Updated daily.
    • Marked as answer by Wesley Yao Friday, April 10, 2009 2:37 AM
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 7:13 AM
  • You should not do that. Your time is better spent learning other things. That is what MFC experts have told me. I agree that any book or tutorial that teaches MFC beginning with programs that are created without the wizards should be avoided. If you insist upon doing that as a beginner, don't expect much help.

My Creating an MFC Application Without the AppWizard might also help, but it is not written for beginners.
    Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Monday, April 6, 2009 4:15 AM
  • The best answer to questions such as how to solve the error "convert parameter 2 from 'const char [28]' to 'LPCTSTR'" is a good book about C++. If you do request help for that, then you should create a new thread for it; it is a different question. In the new thread, include the relevant source code lines. Also, when you ask a question about an error message, include the error code too.

Since you need help with something that is such a beginner-level C++ topic, you are using the wrong path for learning MFC. You should either learn MFC using a book that also teaches C++, or learn C++ first.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:02 AM

All replies

• Hello RaisinToe,

1. Better grab a copy of Programming Windows with MFC byJeff Prosise. Its the ultimate reference for learning MFC. 
    2. You can also refer this MFC Tutorial Collection . It teaches you how to code MFC without wizards at beginning and then advanced topics too.

Regards,
    Jijo.

Sunday, April 5, 2009 7:13 AM
  • You should not do that. Your time is better spent learning other things. That is what MFC experts have told me. I agree that any book or tutorial that teaches MFC beginning with programs that are created without the wizards should be avoided. If you insist upon doing that as a beginner, don't expect much help.

My Creating an MFC Application Without the AppWizard might also help, but it is not written for beginners.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 4:15 AM
  • Hello RaisinToe,

Regards,
    Jijo.

Thank you very much! I followed the first tutorial to build a simple window, but I still get an error, " cannot convert parameter 2 from 'const char [28]' to 'LPCTSTR'". Do you know why I am getting this?
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:41 AM
  • I Will suggest you Start with Win32 with Charles Petzold once you will do through the books each and everything will be clear to you so don't directly start working with MFC otherwise you will only stuck .

Thanks
    Rupesh Shukla
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Oh, never mind, I got it. I had to change from Unicode to Multybyte; I don't know what that means though.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:00 AM
  • The best answer to questions such as how to solve the error "convert parameter 2 from 'const char [28]' to 'LPCTSTR'" is a good book about C++. If you do request help for that, then you should create a new thread for it; it is a different question. In the new thread, include the relevant source code lines. Also, when you ask a question about an error message, include the error code too.

Since you need help with something that is such a beginner-level C++ topic, you are using the wrong path for learning MFC. You should either learn MFC using a book that also teaches C++, or learn C++ first.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:02 AM
  • Multybyte is essentially non-Unicode. The documentation has ample descriptions.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:12 AM