VS2010 C# NETMF CLR_E_OUT_OF_RANGE RRS feed

• Question

• All my files are less than 64K the biggest class is 41k the whole .exe file after compile is 61k . Google does not help much, but one thread "http://www.dotnetsolutions.co.uk/blog/introducing-the-meta-data-processor" says that running the MetaDataProcessor in the command prompt using the same arguments that caused it to fail, will give further information to help solve the issue. So my question is what are the arguments that i need??????.

With ref. to the above link, the command string may well appear in v3.0 but it does not appear in v4.2. I did try using -1 or -l that appears in the link but they are not supported in v4.2.

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:45 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2013 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am just guessing now because you told us what you found on google but you didn't give details about the problem you ran into.

So you get an out of range error - which one is it? The Bytecode one or MethodDef? Did you copy the build command from the output window to see more details?

So lets track down the errors a little bit:
    - Do you have a very large class? The Out of range error regarding methoddef will occur if a class has to many members. The solution is to split up the class if possible.
    - You said that the files are less than 64K - you are aware that the size of the source files does not matter? Important is the size of code inside an assembly. So maybe you can split up the project into multiple projects if this is the case.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, July 15, 2013 5:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am just guessing now because you told us what you found on google but you didn't give details about the problem you ran into.

So you get an out of range error - which one is it? The Bytecode one or MethodDef? Did you copy the build command from the output window to see more details?

So lets track down the errors a little bit:
    - Do you have a very large class? The Out of range error regarding methoddef will occur if a class has to many members. The solution is to split up the class if possible.
    - You said that the files are less than 64K - you are aware that the size of the source files does not matter? Important is the size of code inside an assembly. So maybe you can split up the project into multiple projects if this is the case.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, July 15, 2013 5:35 PM
  • Konrad,

Thanks for the reply. How can I tell whether its a Bytecode or Method error? I have already tried spliting up the large class, it may be difficult to go further as its a partial I2C class, but I have removed all none I2C functions/methods. I do understand that the source size is not really relevant, and am aware that it could be something that is being spawned that is going outside of the limmits, or that there maybe too many methods, but what is the applied limmits?

Regards,

GBDave.

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Just to make the issue clearly, which type of application/project are you working with?

I am afraid that the issue is out of support range of VS General Question forum which mainly discusses WPF & SL designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System and Visual Studio Editor.

Please provide us more information so that we can check if this thread can be moved to a more appropriacte forum for better response.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:32 AM