none
Some cmdlets are missing on my exchange installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have two exchange 2013 SP1 server in my environment, I attempted to configure Autoreply functionality using the command below.

Set-RemoteDomain –AutoForwardEnabled $true

Set-RemoteDomain -AutoReplyEnabled $true

Then I got this error message

Set-RemoteDomain : The term 'Set-RemoteDomain' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
    operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
    again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Set-RemoteDomain -AutoForwardEnabled $true
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Set-RemoteDomain:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

I check the same command on the second exchange server and it returned same error. I suspect the cmdlets were not all installed during the setup. I downloaded the exchange 2013  ISO from VLC, so it is likely that the ISO file is the source of this missing cmdltets

is there anyway to import all the cmdlet back into exchange.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you running this command in Windows powershell or Exchange powershell?

Set-remotedomain is cmdlet to configure a managed connection for a remote domain.

If setting autoreply for a user this is the command:

Set-MailboxAutoReplyConfiguration -Identity user@domain.com -AutoReplyState Enabled -InternalMessage "Internal auto-reply message." -ExternalMessage "External auto-reply message."

For forward this is command:

Set-Mailbox -Identity user@domain.com -ForwardingSMTPAddress user2@domain.com . So im not actualy sure what you want to achive with your command,?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

thank you for the feedback.

I am using Exchange Management Shell. I have tried the commands you suggested for the mailbox. When you login in to the mailbox, it show you auto-reply is enabled for external messages but it does not send replies when a message is sent from an external sender. I read in a post that the Auto Reply function need to be enabled for the Exchange server itself and the only way to do it is through the Exchange Management shell. that was why i tried the Set-RemoteDomain command.

when i run Get-RemoteDomain Default | fl AllowedOOFType, AutoReplyEnabled, AutoForwardEnabled

it returns this

AllowedOOFType     : External
    AutoReplyEnabled   : False
    AutoForwardEnabled : False

the suprising thing is why the Set-RemoteDomain cmdlet and some others are missing from my exchange server.

When i run Get-Command in the EMS,it does not show most of the Functions/cmdlet that are supposed be on Exchange server 2013.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:04 PM
  • The Cmdlets will be installed the issue is most likely the User account your logged on as doesn't have rights to use the cmdlet in question. If you don't have RBAC assignment that gives you rights to run those cmdlets (or sometime particular parameters within a cmdlet) then you won't be able to access them (regardless of what rights you may have in Active Directory)

I would suggest you review http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298183(v=exchg.150).aspx

I you give this account Organization Management  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335087(v=exchg.150).aspx that should give you access to everything although best practice is to restrict this as much as you can.

Cheers
    Glen
    Friday, October 17, 2014 4:02 AM
  • Hello Glen,

The Account i am using is the same account that setup the exchange servers and have confirmed that is a  members of the Organization Management group. If it is a case of permission, should i not receive an "Access denied message"

I removed the user from Organisation Management group and the added it again but i still recieved the same message as shown below

[PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Scripts>Set-RemoteDomain -AutoReplyEnabled $true
    Set-RemoteDomain : The term 'Set-RemoteDomain' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
    operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
    again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Set-RemoteDomain -AutoReplyEnabled $true
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Set-RemoteDomain:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

Friday, October 17, 2014 8:41 AM
  • >> If it is a case of permission, should i not receive an "Access denied message"

No a case in point is if you only have View Only Admin in Exchange then you will only get access the Get-RemoteDomain cmdlet and you won't be able to use (or see) the Set-RemoteDomain cmdlet.

What you should be able to do is check the RBAC assigments on the cmdlet eg

Get-ManagementRole -Cmdlet Set-RemoteDomain

by default you should get one Role assignment for "Remote and Accepted Domains"

You should then be able to check the Assignees for that role

Get-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role "Remote and Accepted Domains"

you can specifically grant a user access to this role eg

New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role "Remote and Accepted Domains" -User glen

The Get-RemoteDomain and Set-RemoteDomain cmdlets would be in the same Exchange assembly so you wouldn't get one and not the other. But you should just have access to them by default if your an Org Admin so it sounds strange. These permission changes won't take affect immediately so you'll need to give it time to apply and also make sure you close down and reopen any Powershell session you working in.

Cheers
    Glen

Monday, October 20, 2014 4:01 AM
  • Hello Glen,thank you for the update. as advised, i tried out each of the suggested commands. here is the output of each command;

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-ManagementRole -Cmdlet Set-RemoteDomain
    Name                                                                        RoleType
    ----                                                                             --------
    Remote and Accepted Domains                                 RemoteAndAcceptedDomains

============================================================================

Get-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role "Remote and Accepted Domains

this one did not return anything (just returned back to the PS prompt)

============================================================================

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role "Remote and Accepted Domains" -User ExchangeAdmin
    New-ManagementRoleAssignment : The term 'New-ManagementRoleAssignment' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet,
    function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again. At line:1 char:1
    + New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role "Remote and Accepted Domains" -User ExchangeA ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (New-ManagementRoleAssignment:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

i am getting same result on the two exchange servers. What do you suggest i do.

Regards

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:26 AM
  • The fact that you also have problems with New-ManagementRoleAssignment cmdlets points to you only having View Only Admin rights. Regardless of what rights you say are assigned to the account your using the results your getting suggest it doesn't have rights.

My suggestion would be create a New account and then assign it Org admin using the steps in http://www.techieshelp.com/add-an-administrator-to-exchange-2013/ and then try using this account. The other thing to try is instead of running the cmdlets directly on the server try it from a workstation where powershell is installed using Remote PowerShell http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335083(v=exchg.150).aspx .

Other things you can check are the Roles assigned to a particular account and the Organization Management Role eg

Get-ManagementRoleAssignment -RoleAssignee user@domain

Get-ManagementRoleAssignment -RoleAssignee "Organization Management"

In the case of the Org Management Role you should see an assignment to the Remote and Accepted Domains.

Otherwise check your Exchange setup logs for errors  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125254(v=exchg.150).aspx

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:05 AM