Restore from full farm backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just did a full farm backup via SP central admin.

1) Is it possible to have 2 separate farms on the  SP server? As I don't want to overwrite the existing one?

2) Since I have 1 index server and 2 front ends, is there anything specific I have to do or it is ok just to restore it from the index server where the Central Admin is?

Thanks in advance. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by wkpli Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:43 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:38 PM

Answers

•  

I dont think we can have 2 SP farms/config db running together on sharepoint server. If you dont want to loose existing  data , take clone/full backups of the server using some backup tool and keep it somewhere so that you can revert the changes in case of issues.

Here are some things that have to work in order for a farm backup to work:

1. Your Central Admin app pool account must have read/write access to the location of the backups.
    2. Your SQL Service account must have read/write access to the location of the backups.
    3. If you're running a farm backup from STSADM or Windows PowerShell, the account you're running it as must have read/write access to the location of the backups
    4. The location must be accessible from the SharePoint machine the backup is running on.
    5. The location must be accessible from the SQL instance that SharePoint is trying to back up.
    6. This is why all the examples are UNCs, \\server\share, and not local paths, C:\backups
    7. Hope that helps,

Amrita Talreja
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:10 PM
  • 1) Is it possible to have 2 separate farms on the  SP server? As I don't want to overwrite the existing one?

No. You have to create 2 seperate farms, which means seperate SP servers

2) Since I have 1 index server and 2 front ends, is there anything specific I have to do or it is ok just to restore it from the index server where the Central Admin is?

The backup/restore is done at the database level so you can restore from any SP server as long as its joined to the farm. You do not specifically have to restore from server running CA

- Sid
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:24 AM

All replies

•  

I dont think we can have 2 SP farms/config db running together on sharepoint server. If you dont want to loose existing  data , take clone/full backups of the server using some backup tool and keep it somewhere so that you can revert the changes in case of issues.

Here are some things that have to work in order for a farm backup to work:

1. Your Central Admin app pool account must have read/write access to the location of the backups.
    2. Your SQL Service account must have read/write access to the location of the backups.
    3. If you're running a farm backup from STSADM or Windows PowerShell, the account you're running it as must have read/write access to the location of the backups
    4. The location must be accessible from the SharePoint machine the backup is running on.
    5. The location must be accessible from the SQL instance that SharePoint is trying to back up.
    6. This is why all the examples are UNCs, \\server\share, and not local paths, C:\backups
    7. Hope that helps,

Amrita Talreja
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:10 PM
  • 1) Is it possible to have 2 separate farms on the  SP server? As I don't want to overwrite the existing one?

No. You have to create 2 seperate farms, which means seperate SP servers

The backup/restore is done at the database level so you can restore from any SP server as long as its joined to the farm. You do not specifically have to restore from server running CA

- Sid
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:24 AM