SQL Server 2012 sp1- Changing SQL Server Compatibility Level RRS feed

• Question

• hello

I recently have performed the upgrade of my TFS server from 2010 to 2012 and it was successful.

i was asked by the company DBA if i can update the TFS databases compatibility level to SQL Server 2012

this option can be found when right clicking on the database in the SSMS, selecting properties->option->compatibility level.

does changing this property can harm the TFS databases or databases in general ?

also is it safe to update the compatibility to SQL Server 2012 ?

and what can i gain from setting this property?

thank you

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:44 AM

Answers

• does changing this property can harm the TFS databases or databases in general ?

also is it safe to update the compatibility to SQL Server 2012 ?

and what can i gain from setting this property?

thank you

You should change compatibility level.It will not cause problem with database.Changing compatibility level Sets certain database behaviors to be compatible with the specified version of SQL Server .But be aware about this

Changing the compatibility level while users are connected to the database can produce incorrect result sets for active queries. For example, if the compatibility level changes while a query plan is being compiled, the compiled plan might be based on both the old and new compatibility levels, resulting in an incorrect plan and potentially inaccurate results. Furthermore, the problem may be compounded if the plan is placed in the plan cache and reused for subsequent queries. To avoid inaccurate query results, we recommend the following procedure to change the compatibility level of a database:

Please read below article before proceeding.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510680.aspx

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:56 AM