Get slice of image RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure this is a horrible question, but I have imported an image and drawn a path around a portion I'd like to slice and put on another image. When I create the slice, it's blank and doesn't grab everything in the image. It's just blank! The clipping path option is grayed out, too. I've done this before and figured it out, but I'm at a loss now and can't remember what I did. Ugh... What am I missing?!?!
    Monday, December 6, 2010 2:10 AM

Answers

• Hello! Are you using slices or clipping paths? Slices are rectangular and are meant to be exported. If you need a jagged shape clipping paths are the way to go. You need to select both your image and the path, and use the clipping path option. If it is grayed, it may be you selected it in error before, or that something has moved or is already clipped. Check if any of these are available: release compund path, release clipping path, ungroup. Also, if the problem is when you export your image, be sure you didn't select only the clipping path with the direct selection or lasso tool. If only the path is selected, the export will be empty. To solve this, select with the normal selection tool that will select the path along with its clipped image. If none of this helps, please explain better when the problem happens (while exporting or in design also) and what are you using.

• Marked as answer by AmyKay Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:00 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hello! Are you using slices or clipping paths? Slices are rectangular and are meant to be exported. If you need a jagged shape clipping paths are the way to go. You need to select both your image and the path, and use the clipping path option. If it is grayed, it may be you selected it in error before, or that something has moved or is already clipped. Check if any of these are available: release compund path, release clipping path, ungroup. Also, if the problem is when you export your image, be sure you didn't select only the clipping path with the direct selection or lasso tool. If only the path is selected, the export will be empty. To solve this, select with the normal selection tool that will select the path along with its clipped image. If none of this helps, please explain better when the problem happens (while exporting or in design also) and what are you using.

• Marked as answer by AmyKay Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:00 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Thanks again, Elena! You were right - I should have been using clipping paths, and that solved my issue. :)
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:01 AM