Framework 3.5 INSTALLUTIL.EXE RRS feed

• Question

•  I have developed a Windows Service app using VS 2008 & .NET Framework 3.5.  I have developed other service apps in the past on all previous versions of VS & .NET Framework.  I have always used INSTALLUTIL.EXE.  MSDN has a section discussing the user of the tool specifically related to .NET Framework 3.5.

I can't find it in the .NET Framework .  A search of my computer shows only copies of  INSTALLUTIL.EXE in v1.0.3705, v1.1.4322, & v2.0.50727.

Is it still needed for installing Windows Services apps?  If so, where do I find it?

Thanks,
    Jack
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

Windows Services are different than normal Windows based applications. It is not possible to run a Windows Service by simply running an EXE. The Windows Service should be installed by using the InstallUtil.exe provided with the .NET Framework or through a deployment project such as a Microsoft Installer (MSI) file.

It is a part of the framework and will be found here

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

or

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

assuming windows is installed on c drive

Hope this clarifies all your concerns.

Thanks,

Somen

somen das

• Proposed as answer by somen Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, February 16, 2009 2:08 AM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Jack,

Windows Services are different than normal Windows based applications. It is not possible to run a Windows Service by simply running an EXE. The Windows Service should be installed by using the InstallUtil.exe provided with the .NET Framework or through a deployment project such as a Microsoft Installer (MSI) file.

It is a part of the framework and will be found here

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

or

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

assuming windows is installed on c drive

Hope this clarifies all your concerns.

Thanks,

Somen

somen das

• Proposed as answer by somen Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, February 16, 2009 2:08 AM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Somen did Not answer GuitarMan's question. Gush why would people jump to provide answer WITHOUT actually read the question first?  GuitarMan's question was "Where is InstallUtil.EXE for framework 3.5?"  and "If there a new way to install Windows Service, please explain?"  Which is the same question I am facing now.  Please do not explain to me what is Windows Service or what is InstallUtil.EXE as I have done it dozens of times in Framework v.1.x and v.2.x. This is specific for FrameWork 3.5... what happened to InstallUtil.EXE ???

Thank you very much!
    david

Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:25 PM
  • I think there are two answers here:

1. Frameworks 3 and 3.5 are not complete framework re-issues. They are extensions to 2.0, so much of the infrastructure (like InstallUtils.exe) is still in the 2.0.50727 directory. There is no caspol, ilasm, ngen in the 3.5 folder either.

2. Setup & Deployment projects can be used to install services using custom actions that run ServiceInstaller methods.
    Phil Wilson
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Thank you Phil.

I tried using v.2.0.50727 version of InstallUtil with my v.3.5 Service exe, installed went okay, but when starting it from Services applet it crashes, EventViewer only logged: an error occured in kernel32.dll, source: .NET runtime 2.0 Error Reporting.

So, effectively, framework 3.5 does not have a command-line utility to install server resources...?!!

Yet MSDN documentation said InstallUtil.exe is available under framework 3.5...  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/50614e95.aspx 

Unfortunately your alternative (2) above is not a viable option (due to reasons non-technical) for the deployment of this framework 3.5 Service. 

Is there any other way to install a Windows Service?

Ooy~   :-(
    david
    • Proposed as answer by zzonickk Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:17 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:40 PM
  • I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that InstallUtil is broken because your service crashed when you started it ;=)

You need some tracing IMO. I always have a tracelistener in services to track its path at startup etc.

I've looked again, and it still seems to me that there is only the FW 2.0 installutil.exe. The latest version I have on my system is 2.0.50727.3053, and I have the 3.5 FW installed, and there is also a copy in the WinSxS directory.
    Phil Wilson
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Hi, i have the same problem and cant find a solution because i have installed vs.net 2008 and this dont have installutil, my windows have this framework subfolders: v1.0.3705, v1.1.4322, v2.0.50727, v3.0, v3.5 AND none of these has the file. BUT i found and easy solution, just download and install FRAMEWORK 4.0, go to framework 4 folder v4.0.30319 (here you can found installutil.exe) and later you can apply this tool to install vs.net 2008 window services.

was difficult to find the solution, but works great for me.

cesardgo
    • Proposed as answer by cesardgo Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:12 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:08 PM
  • this worked for me, thanks
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:39 PM