Create Data Binding dialog, OK button disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been using Blend 4.0 for over a year, and love it.  I'm using MVVM and bind almost everything.  This morning, all of a sudden I can't get Blend to bind anything.  The OK button in the "Create Data Binding" dialog won't enable.  Suppose, for example, I do the following:

1. Select a TextBox in the Objects and Timeline window.

2. Go to the Common Properties pane and click the little box to the right of the "Text" property. This brings up the "Create Data Binding" dialog.

3. Select the "Data Context" tab.

4. Place a check in the "Use a custom path expression" checkbox. This enables the textbox to its right.

5. Type a string such as "DataStartTemperature" in the textbox to the right of the checkbox.

6. Try to click on the OK button, but it's disabled, so, clearly, nothing happens.

If I go to the XAML and put in the binding by hand, and then go back and try it again, the OK button is enabled and I see the binding name I assigned to it.  But it doesn't enable binding with any other control.  If I try it with a different control, the same thing happens.  I.e., it only works if I've already bound it by hand.

Help!!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:03 PM

All replies

• Anything special about your setup? Windows 8 CP? VS11 beta? Blend preview for SL 5?
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:25 PM
  • This is standard Blend 4.0.

I do have VS Async CTP, and I just recently installed VS11 beta. No Windows 8 or Blend Preview.

Dan Solis

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:50 PM
  • I uninstalled VS11 beta, but there was no change.  Binding is still dead in the water.  What could affect enabling the OK button?

Dan Solis

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Hello Dan.

A couple of us are having the same problem.  See this thread...

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/3da0b61e-cf0a-48c7-9f6e-30c07dfe6ad7

A temporary work around to this is to go into your XAML and start the binding by typing {Binding }.  Then when you open the Binding Wizard up the OK button becomes available.

Erik with Microsoft says the binding issue is on his list of things to fix...

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/6bf3c7e6-6ecd-4dc3-9b99-b6de6b7c86ee

~Christine

My Gallery

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:05 AM
  • Thanks for the info, Christine.

I wonder if it has something to do with the .NET Framework 4.5 Beta.  I installed that on 4/16, and I'm not sure I've tried to bind anything since then. Or did installing the Blend 5 beta screw up the installation of Blend 4?

I hope they fix this soon. Having a beta screw up an installed product is not OK.

Dan

Dan Solis

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:35 PM