Sandcastle - F1 context help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've generated an Hxs file with Sandcastle and then created an installer in VS2005 with the Help Integration Wizard.  The help is correctly installed from the MSI but when I press F1 on an item it cannot resolve the help location.

I've also used HelpStudio Lite to create a file and noticed that if I add a new key index with the full name of an item for each HTML page that was created it will be correctly resolved.  The problem seems to be that Sandcastle prefixes the namespace of the key index with different values which I presume identify the type of entry it is e.g. @m:MyMethod, @overload:MyMethod.

Has anyone experienced this or am I missing something obvious to get the context help functioning corrrectly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:05 AM

Answers

• Not yet and we plan to address this by our RTW in October.

Anand..

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:32 PM

All replies

• We have not tried this yet. I have to spend some time with the Help integration Whizard and will get back to you..

Anand..

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:24 PM
  • Thanks Anand.

If you require a more detailed description or have any questions about how I've got to this stage then please let me know.

Trev

Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:17 PM
  • Please do. I checked the HxS, and it looks like Sandcastle isn’t generating F-keywords. For example I did a test build of our internal documentation using Sandcastle, the following keywords are in the Whidbey docs for the Microsoft.Win32.Registry.ClassesRoot topic, but missing from the same topic in test.hxs:

<MSHelp:Keyword Index="F" Term="Microsoft.Win32.Registry.ClassesRoot" />

<MSHelp:Keyword Index="F" Term="Registry.ClassesRoot" />

<MSHelp:Keyword Index="F" Term="ClassesRoot" />

I am investigating more and will provide you details.

Anand..

Thursday, August 10, 2006 11:14 PM
  • This is something I'm working on in my employment so I'm not permitted to go into specific detail of the assemblies in a public forum but here's an outline of what I've done.

bearing in mind that it's a work in progress....

Sandcastle (see Note 1), HTML Workshop and the Visual Studio SDK are installed in their default installation directories

I've created a directory called HelpCreator with the following structure:

dll - contains the source assemblies and xml comment files

HelpFiles - for the output (I need to create chm & HxS files)

HHCTemplate - contains a renamed and edited copy of the test.hhp file that I've modifed to fit my assemblies domain (see note 2)

HXSTemplate - contains renamed copies of the HxK & HxF files.  The HxC file has been renamed and edited to fit my assemblies domain.

An edited version of the sandcastle.config file is present.

I've created a batch file in this directory that follows the following steps

1. Set variables for execution.
    2. Create "Output" folder as per sandcastle example and populate with art, html, scripts, styles, hhp & hsx files.
    3. Run MRefBuilder and perform transformations as per sandcastle documentation.
    4. Create HHC & HxS files and then copy them to the Helpfiles folder.
    5. Output directory and working files are deleted.

Currently, I manually copy the HxS file to a project folder for the VS2005 solution used in the build of the help msi and merge module.

Job done.

Note 1:  I've moved the Cpref_reflection and Mscorlib folders from the example folder to the sandcastle directory - I'm guessing that this is where they were intended to be by default.
    Note 2: When editing this file it's necessary to clear the default file in options (defaults to art\*.gif) otherwise a compilation warning is raised. The file is still correctly compiled but I just didn't want to see it. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Trev

I've created

Friday, August 11, 2006 2:46 AM
  • Does anyone know if this functionality now works in the August CTP?
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 2:38 AM
  • Not yet and we plan to address this by our RTW in October.

Anand..

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:32 PM
  • Thanks for the update Anand.  Very much appreciated.

Trev

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:37 PM