none
Interpreting Outlook Synchronizer Error codes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if there was a technical resource available that would provide me guidance on how to interpret error codes in synchronization issue messages?

For example I am stumbling over error codes similar to:

[80004005-501-4ED-550]

In this specific case, I assume the following parts refer to:

• 0x80004005 MAPI_E_CALL_FAILED
    • 0x501 ecNoReadRight
    • 0x4ed  ecFmtError

I however can't figure what the 550 represents. Is it an error code or something different?

I assume this error code is to be read in the context of the sync issue, but more specifically is there a methodology to interpret/read the error code?

Thank you.

Julien.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:28 PM

Answers

• Hello Julien,

These error codes, as displayed in the context of an Outlook sync error, are not currently documented in any specification, as they represent behavior that is specific to Outlook and not a protocol.

In your example, I don’t believe the 0x550 component of the error would give you any additional idea as to how to resolve the issue. The second component, 0x501 in your example, corresponds to the ulContext value of a MAPIERROR structure. The third component, 0x4de, corresponds to the ulLowLevelError component, and is likely to be the most helpful of the values available here. It does mean ecFmtError in this context. In this example, lpszError is "The client operation failed.", and lpszComponent is "Microsoft Exchange Information Store".

Best regards,
    Matt Weber | Microsoft Open Specifications Team

Monday, June 22, 2015 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hello Julien,

Thank you for your question. I am currently researching your request and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 11:20 PM
  • Hello Julien,

These error codes, as displayed in the context of an Outlook sync error, are not currently documented in any specification, as they represent behavior that is specific to Outlook and not a protocol.

In your example, I don’t believe the 0x550 component of the error would give you any additional idea as to how to resolve the issue. The second component, 0x501 in your example, corresponds to the ulContext value of a MAPIERROR structure. The third component, 0x4de, corresponds to the ulLowLevelError component, and is likely to be the most helpful of the values available here. It does mean ecFmtError in this context. In this example, lpszError is "The client operation failed.", and lpszComponent is "Microsoft Exchange Information Store".

Best regards,

Monday, June 22, 2015 7:39 PM