Call Stack View does not seem complete RRS feed

• Question

• When examining the call stack view at a breakpoint, I need to go deeper into the stack than is displayed.  Is there a way to configure the Call Stack view to display more entries?  I am not using multiple threads; this is an MFC application with a single thread.

Thanks,

RIch

C++ developer
    Friday, January 21, 2011 6:36 PM

Answers

• In the VS Command Window, there is this Command Debug.ListCallStack
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8s26kck4.aspx
    which has an argument of /Count:number, which sets the maximum number of call stacks to display. The help says: The default value is unlimited.
    I think, sometimes the debugger just cannot follow the stack further down
    for reason of optimized code, exception-handling, callbacks and the like.
    But you can test it yourself:
    just put a simple recursive function in plain-main, and you will see, dependent of stack-size (exception!!!), there are in general more than enough stackframes showing up for normal user-mode-programming.
    • Edited by MaybeCompletelyW Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:28 PM spelling mistake
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, January 28, 2011 3:46 AM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:23 PM

All replies

• In the VS Command Window, there is this Command Debug.ListCallStack
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8s26kck4.aspx
    which has an argument of /Count:number, which sets the maximum number of call stacks to display. The help says: The default value is unlimited.
    I think, sometimes the debugger just cannot follow the stack further down
    for reason of optimized code, exception-handling, callbacks and the like.
    But you can test it yourself:
    just put a simple recursive function in plain-main, and you will see, dependent of stack-size (exception!!!), there are in general more than enough stackframes showing up for normal user-mode-programming.
    • Edited by MaybeCompletelyW Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:28 PM spelling mistake
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, January 28, 2011 3:46 AM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:23 PM
  •  

We temporarily mark a reply since the thread idle for a long time, please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Eric Yang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:46 AM