none
Trying to compare passed param date to access date in SQL expression RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got a table in my database that contains the UK  Public holidays for x years.  I've stored them in long date format so they're easier to read.  Then I've written the following simple routine to check a passed parameter date to that table.  It's complaining of a data type mismatch in the SQL expression.

Public Function IsBankHoliday(DateToEvaluate As Date) As Boolean
        Dim temRS As New ADODB.Recordset
        temRS.Open "SELECT * FROM lkpBankHolidays WHERE BHDate = '" & DateToEvaluate & "';", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenKeyset, adLockPessimistic
        If temRS.RecordCount = 0 Then
            IsBankHoliday = False
        Else
            IsBankHoliday = True
        End If
        temRS.Close
        Set temRS = Nothing
    End Function

I suspect this is because Access actually stores dates as single point numbers (whatever format you specify in the interface) but I've tried messing around with CLng etc. and I can't get it to work.  As I'm probably missing something ludicrously simple, I thought I might as well ask for help!

Sunday, May 7, 2017 3:34 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply Daniel.  That produced the same error but it's on the right lines.  I have changed the SQL to:

"SELECT * FROM lkpBankHolidays WHERE cdate(BHDate) = '" & DateToEvaluate & "';"

Which seems to work fine.

• Marked as answer by MikeMay Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:20 PM
    Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:20 PM

All replies

• Try modifying your SQL statement from

"SELECT * FROM lkpBankHolidays WHERE BHDate = '" & DateToEvaluate & "';"

To

"SELECT * FROM lkpBankHolidays WHERE BHDate = '" & Format$(DateToEvaluate, "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#") & "';"

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2016 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Sunday, May 7, 2017 3:41 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Daniel.  That produced the same error but it's on the right lines.  I have changed the SQL to:

"SELECT * FROM lkpBankHolidays WHERE cdate(BHDate) = '" & DateToEvaluate & "';"

Which seems to work fine.

• Marked as answer by MikeMay Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:20 PM
    Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:20 PM