switching between two languages RRS feed

• Question

• Using MS-Expression WEB 4. My task is to support two languages in my simple site

I did found answers about changing folders using var such as "en" and "fr"

but I'm not sure it is "clean" or in other words  "the right" way...

I'm thinking that the since .DWT file is holding the menu and all language related issues so the actual requirement is to find a way to switch the .DWT file.

From what I've read so far it should be 5 min task but I'm still working around the clean solution for hours with no  end

and suggestion PLEASE?

Gad

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:37 PM

All replies

• You create two DWTs.  Assign the one in english to the english pages, and the one in french to the french pages.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:15 PM
  • I could be wrong, but it sounds as if you want the visitor to be able to switch the languages ("changing folders using var such as "en" and "fr") in one site. Is that correct (using a variable to switch languages in the site)?

If that is correct, you can't do that with a DWT. The DWT only works on your local computer to build the pages; it's not an server technology.

If you are just talking about creating two parallel sites and uploading both, then a DWT will work fine--one for each site. The user would choose which one of the two sites to visit on a common welcome screen. But you will have to manage two sites whenever you make any changes.

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.

• Edited by Bill Pearson Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:33 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:29 AM
  • Note that you will still have to develop the multilingual content pages yourself, deriving from the appropriate DWT for each. It's also unclear what you mean by this:

I'm thinking that the since .DWT file is holding the menu and all language related issues so the actual requirement is to find a way to switch the .DWT file.

That sounds as if you believe that you can somehow switch what the visitor sees by switching between DWTs. If so, then you have the wrong idea of how DWTs work. They are strictly design-time tools, and are not even present on the online server—unless you wish to keep a copy there for backup—they are not used by the server.

At design time, you don't actually "switch" between DWTs. You either right-click whichever DWT you want, then select "New from Dynamic Web Template," or click "File|New|Create from Dynamic Web Template," then navigate to whichever one you wish to use. Either way, you're not "switching" between them, just selecting them at new page creation time.

You can have your visitors select which page they want by using, say flag icons which load the appropriate page, or whatever mechanism you wish.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:42 AM