none
Install options RRS feed

• Question

• First of all. I don't know if this is possible. I am writing a tool for sql server. I want to give the user an option when they install. I want them to be able to pick to run my tool like a regular windows application or run it from sql server management studio toolbar.

Alan

Friday, March 30, 2018 10:39 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Your going to be hard pressed to find something in VB.NET. No matter, writing an addin for SSMS toolbar is not a small feat.

The following is a template done in C# (sorry they don't have a VB.NET version) from RedGate who currently has a addin to VS2017 and also has a product called SQL-Prompt and SQL-Toolbelt. The following (again C#) is from a developer sharing how to do SSMS addins. Yet C# again with a good tutorial.

For VB.NET, the following shows how to create an addin with older versions of Visual Studio, not after VS2010.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, March 30, 2018 12:43 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you would have to write your own installer if you can write code that can place, I suppose, a shortcut into wherever the SQL server management studio toolbar gets whatever it displays as tools or as a regular windows app.

But I know nothing about SQL servers management studio toolbar.

How do you manually place a tool in SQL servers management studio toolbar?

La vida loca

Friday, March 30, 2018 10:53 AM
  • Hello,

Your going to be hard pressed to find something in VB.NET. No matter, writing an addin for SSMS toolbar is not a small feat.

The following is a template done in C# (sorry they don't have a VB.NET version) from RedGate who currently has a addin to VS2017 and also has a product called SQL-Prompt and SQL-Toolbelt. The following (again C#) is from a developer sharing how to do SSMS addins. Yet C# again with a good tutorial.

For VB.NET, the following shows how to create an addin with older versions of Visual Studio, not after VS2010.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, March 30, 2018 12:43 PM