SPD Workflows Best Practice RRS feed

• Question

• Using Wss3.0 is it best to have multiple short SPD workflows or 1 or 2 big complicated workflows. I have 7 different small workflows that will occasionaly error out with generic error, if i rerun that same workflow individually when the other 6 are not being triggered it works fine. Are my workflows colliding when trying to make updates to the same list item or just a fluke....should I spend the time combining the 7 into 1 or 2 workflows? Thanks for your feedback

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:19 AM

Answers

• Hi KJP - so you're saying these 7 different small workflows are on the same list?  Yes, please combine them.  SharePoint doesn't like to run more than 6 or 7 workflows at a time on a single list item and will cause this to error.

You should create one workflow with conditional branches and probably multiple steps.  This is the smoothest and will take up less load on your server.  The workflow is intended to only be ran once on one item (you don't have to do it this way, but this is the most widely taught).  So, for each stage you would have a step.  each step would have multiple conditional branches that would perform some actions.  At the end of those actions you would put a wait for field change action that will be looking for the change that signifies when the next step should perform its actions.

• Marked as answer by KJP_yahoo Friday, April 15, 2011 2:54 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:09 PM