none
Migration from CRM 3 to CRM 4 RRS feed

• Frage

• A few months ago, we reinstall a new network (new domain, new operating systems, etc) and we made backup of the CRM databases (METABASE, MSCRM, MSCRMDistribution) which we restored in ours new SQL Server 2008 (We still have the server where CRM was installed - but in a different domain not connected to actual domain -, but not the database server, just the .mdf files, which we attached).

So at this time we want to install MS Dynamics CRM 4 and after this ours main goal is to import the data from ours MS CRM 3. Could you help me in what are the best practices to achieve my goal, install CRM 4 and import data from CRM 3?

My actual network has a domain controller with Windows Server 2008 x64, windows 2008 x64 with SQL Server 2008 and windows 2008 x64 with IIS 7. Install CRM in a server with IIS 7 and storing the database in SQL Server 2008.

Many thanks,

António Neto

Dienstag, 10. November 2009 17:40

Antworten

• Hi António,

see this article for further informations

http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/05/01/upgrading-to-crm-4-0.aspx

Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    • Als Antwort markiert Michael Sulz Freitag, 7. Januar 2011 13:51
    Dienstag, 10. November 2009 18:03
  • Did you try to install with your existing old database? 1. You´ll have to install to a new CRM 4.0 database (Clean install). Then use the Deployment Tool to import your organization database

So here are the steps you´ll have to take care:

In your new domain, prepare the infrastructure, i.e. get SQL Server, AD set up,  decide which server CRM is to go on etc.

Take a backup of your original company A's database in SQL, restore that backup to the new SQL server.

Now install CRM 4.0 on the server in the new domain. Do not choose an existing organisation/database, install a new organisation. Doesn't matter what it is called but it musn't be called the name that you finally want to use; you'll ditch this organisation later on.

Once CRM 4 is installed successfully, go to the Deployment manager and select import organisation. Follow the wizard, it will make you select the SQL database for the company that you restored earlier on and take you through steps that were similar to the redeployment tool in CRM 3.0. Once this is done, mark the newly imported organisation as the default, disable the other one that was created in the install and perhaps delete it as well. If you have a workgroup or professional licence the organisation created during installation will automatically be disabled.

Gruß Carsten Groth http://carstengroth.spaces.live.com
    Mittwoch, 23. Dezember 2009 19:17

Alle Antworten

• Hi António,

see this article for further informations

http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/05/01/upgrading-to-crm-4-0.aspx

Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    • Als Antwort markiert Michael Sulz Freitag, 7. Januar 2011 13:51
    Dienstag, 10. November 2009 18:03
  • Hi again,

I have read the article, but I don't get information to migrate the database from version 3 to 4.

My old databases name are:
    vs. 3
    Espaço_Atlântico_METABASE
    Espaço_Atlântico_MSCRM
    Espaço_Atlântico_MSCRMDistribution

If I try to install the CRM based on an existing database it gives me the following error:
    "An existing configuration database (MSCRM_CONFIG) could not be found on the SQL Server"

So I installed in a server a new clean CRM 4 and it created the followed databases:
    vs. 4
    EspacoAtlantico_MSCRM
    MSCRM_CONFIG

I also tried to use the Redeployment tool, but I don't have any mapping file and deployment file to make Data Export Wizard, is it possible without this? I don't have the old server and old active directory. I don't just want to import the users, but also contacts and related tasks, is it possible having only the old database?

Thanks anyway,

António Neto
    Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 11:45
  • Hi António,

you need a running crm 3 implementation in order to be able to upgrade it. The first task you have to do, is to redeploy your crm 3 databases to a crm 3 installation.
    If you system is up and running again, you can start with the upgrade.

Be aware, that Dynamics CRM 3 doesn't support SQL 2008 and Windows 2008

See http://nitindhawan.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/mscrm-mig/
    Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 12:04
  • There is any way to restore de data without the old domain (active directory) and CRM v. 3?

Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 16:28
  • Hi,

Dynamics CRM requires an Active Directory. However, for the redeployment of your crm 3 installation, you don't need the old AD.
    You can redeploy in any other AD.

Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 17:14
  • So only having the old database it's not possible to migrate from CRM v. 3 to 4, correct?
    Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 17:34
  • No, it is not possible. You need a working system.

Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 17:54
  • Hi again,

The process of migration of CRM isn't easy :-(
    I forgot and in our network we have 3 delegations, having a sinchronization of the Domain Controllers, so I installed a server with SQL and CRM 3 and updated successfully to CRM 4 in my old domain.
    Now I would like to migrate from my old domain to the new domain (the users are the same), it's just restore the databases in the new domain and install crm 4 with those databases?

Thanks again for your help,

António Neto

Dienstag, 22. Dezember 2009 16:05
  • HI António,

see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952934/ for a guideline for the redeployment. Your task is described in the section "Redeploy the Microsoft Dynamics CRM deployment that includes the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server within the same domain or to another domain."
    Dienstag, 22. Dezember 2009 16:17
  • Thank you very much for your help (one more time), but I had an error on validating the installation of CRM 4 in the new domain, the error is in the "Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server User Input" that is:
    The "<GUID=281b6bc4-4479-4e4e-91dd-c1cad0ad76b3>" group does not exist.

The others steps were checked with success.
    When we make a new installation of crm 4 it asks for an OU in active directory and I created one, when updating doesn't asks for anything, Do I have to create any group and give some permissions to some users and to the database?

Thanks,

António Neto
    Mittwoch, 23. Dezember 2009 11:57
  • Did you try to install with your existing old database? 1. You´ll have to install to a new CRM 4.0 database (Clean install). Then use the Deployment Tool to import your organization database

So here are the steps you´ll have to take care:

In your new domain, prepare the infrastructure, i.e. get SQL Server, AD set up,  decide which server CRM is to go on etc.

Take a backup of your original company A's database in SQL, restore that backup to the new SQL server.

Now install CRM 4.0 on the server in the new domain. Do not choose an existing organisation/database, install a new organisation. Doesn't matter what it is called but it musn't be called the name that you finally want to use; you'll ditch this organisation later on.

Once CRM 4 is installed successfully, go to the Deployment manager and select import organisation. Follow the wizard, it will make you select the SQL database for the company that you restored earlier on and take you through steps that were similar to the redeployment tool in CRM 3.0. Once this is done, mark the newly imported organisation as the default, disable the other one that was created in the install and perhaps delete it as well. If you have a workgroup or professional licence the organisation created during installation will automatically be disabled.

Gruß Carsten Groth http://carstengroth.spaces.live.com
    Mittwoch, 23. Dezember 2009 19:17
  • Thanks for the help, after many backups and restore of the virtual machine I succeeded to import the CRM 4 converted database to another domain, following the steps that you mention. As I didn't have some users in my new domain related with the old one, I create the missing users in ours AD and related them when I was importing.

After imported the converted database I disable most of the users and was enabling as requested, but when I was creating a new user that isn't listed in Disabled and Enabled Users it said "You are attempting to create a user with a domain logon that is already used by another user. Select another domain logon and try again", I don't find him, there is anyway to see where he is referencing this user, and the referenced logon?  The user exists in AD.

Many thanks,

António Neto
    Dienstag, 12. Januar 2010 16:34
  • Forget the post, I found them.

Thanks anyway.
    Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010 12:29