none
Running DNS server on Azure VM, not accessible from Internet RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small B1ls Azure VM running Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS, which I have configured it to run DNSmasq service to respond to DNS queries over the Internet. I have added the bind-interfaces option in the dnsmasq.conf file and disabled the iptables filtering. Additionally I have also permitted traffic from Any IP of Any protocol to Any destination port 53 in the NSG. But any other device over the Internet is not able to talk to port 53 of this Azure instance. Given than Caddy is working correctly for ports 80/443, can I assume there is a networking issue within Azure or that it is treating DNS traffic differently? Is anyone having similar issues and is there a known solution?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Saturday, February 8, 2020 6:52 PM

All replies

• This should work.

Are you able to query the DNS server from another VM on the same VNet? That would allow you to determine whether port 53 is accessible.

On the related node, is there a reason you are not using Azure DNS? This would eliminate the need to deploy/maintain/pay for a VM

hth
    Marcin

Saturday, February 8, 2020 8:18 PM
  • Like Marcin said, You can consider using Azure DNS instead of deploying DNS on a VM.
    Monday, February 10, 2020 5:32 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 5:13 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 5:15 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, February 26, 2020 12:44 PM