none
Why Does the Gantt Chart Show Project Tasks Spanning Across Non-Working Days? RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed that in my project, there are some tasks where the duration spans across non-working days like saturday and sunday.  I checked to make sure these days were set as non-working times in the calendar and also that the task was not ignoring resource calendars.  I'm not sure why the tasks are displaying like this as if work is happening on non-working days.   When I view the tasks in Resource and Task usage views however it doesn't show any work occuring on non-work days.   What could be causing this?

• Edited by JBLT83 Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:53 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:50 PM

Answers

• JBLT83,

Project has shown the Gantt bars that way since day one, probably because the bars show time spans instead of working time. You can change the display to show the bars behind non-working periods by double clicking the header rows of the Gantt to bring up the Timescale window. Select the "Non-working time" tab and pick the desired "Draw" option.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:56 PM

All replies

• JBLT83,

Project has shown the Gantt bars that way since day one, probably because the bars show time spans instead of working time. You can change the display to show the bars behind non-working periods by double clicking the header rows of the Gantt to bring up the Timescale window. Select the "Non-working time" tab and pick the desired "Draw" option.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:56 PM
  • Thanks.   This took care of the issue.

John B. Business Analyst

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:23 AM
  • For some reason though, it still shows the blue bar as if the task is occuring during a week that the resource is on vacation, so this should be non-working time but its not reflecting that way in the gantt chart which it should.  If there is no work occurring, the blue bar shouldn't show up. 

John B. Business Analyst

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:28 AM
  • If the task starts when the resource is not on vacation, and then runs into a period when the resource is on vacation, then the gantt bar will still display for that week, because Gantt bars are a function of time span, not work, as was stated by John in an earlier post.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 6:55 AM
  • John B.,

I you really need to see the timescaled breaks in the work, use either the Task Usage or Resource Usage views. You won't get the Gantt graphic, but you'll get much more detail.

John

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 3:46 PM