How to ftp html files without extraneous directories and other files RRS feed

• Question

• I am an non-technical person when it comes to computers.  Please have mercy.

I used Expression Web 2 for some years on my Vista computer, and I built a web site which GKG.net hosts.  I had no problems using FTP to transfer the html files as well as the updates.

My Vista computer fell into bad health, so I had to buy a new computer with 64 bit Windows 7.  I had no problem loading Expression Web 2 on the new computer.  I was able to load the html files into Expression Web and was able to edit one of these html files.

However, now I am having serious problems trying to FTP the updated html file.  I opened the location of my local html files which is ...Documents/My Web Site/mysite2/public_html.  I could see all my html files in the left panel on my computer.  I could see all the corresponding html files in the right panel under the directory of public_html at the remote site.  However, when I published, the program no longer recognized any file in the remote site.  Instead of sending the single file I had changed, it erased all my html files in the remote site and instead FTP'ed all directories and files from mysite1, mysite2, mysite3, mysite4, mysite5, mysite6, and mysite7.  I deleted all these directories and this left me with no html files at all.

I then moved the contents of mysite2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 into directories that Expression Web could not recognize.  I opened again mysite2 in the left panel, clicked on public_html, and then saw all of my html files for the webpage in the left panel.  I opened the public_html file in the remote web site and it was empty.  I ftp'ed and the program transferred the html files, but did so only in the directories of mysite2/public_html so that my html files were 2 directories away from where they should be.  The remote website was non-functional.  I called GKG.net and they confirmed for me that I had ftp'ed the correct html files, but in a package of two directories which made the html files non-functional.

My questions are as follows:

1. How do I instruct Expression Web to ftp only the html files I am seeing in the left panel and without any extraneous directories?

2. Could my new 64 bit Windows 7 computer be incompatible with my Expression Web 2 program, and that be the cause of this bizzare behavior?

Please keep it simple for me.  If you wax eloquent in technologese, my eyes will glass over and I will surely lapse into a digital coma.

Thanks for your consideration.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:31 PM