Azure CDN and HTTPS confusion (HTTP 504) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have problems with a test site using CDN. With production site everything is fine.

Test site characteristics: Works over fix IP, HTTPS only and untrusted SSL certification.

CDN endpoint: has configured for HTTP and HTTPS

So the confusion:
    1. http endpoint is not working (ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED) and CDN response is HTTP 504

2. SSL is untrusted, HTTPS response will also be 504.

As I understand that the origin's SSL certificate should be also valid, otherwise the CDN would not work ? What I do not understand if the 504 is somekind of generic CDN error or there is something else wrong ?

Regards,

Rasmus K

Thursday, April 9, 2020 2:38 PM

All replies

• Greetings,

If you want to use Azure CDN with your website, then the origin hostname that you specify for your CDN endpoint must be a hostname that resolves to an IP address for your website. Ex : For the following URL: http://suvasara.com, if the CDN doesn't have this file cached, it will use the origin hostname and origin path you have specified for this endpoint to access this file from your website.

It looks like your current endpoint configuration  did not resolve to an IP address for your website. So no content could be retrieved. The origin hostname that you specify for your Azure CDN endpoint must be one that can be used to directly to access your content. 

If you think your question has been answered, click "Mark as Answer" if just helped click "Vote as helpful". This can be beneficial to other community members reading this forum thread.

Thursday, April 9, 2020 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

According to the Azure portal an IP address is also valid origin.

"Choose an origin hostname from the list, type a custom name, or enter an IP address. CDN will pull content from this origin."

It was also previously working over IP. So we are trying to track down, where was the change.

Regards,

Rasmus K

Saturday, April 11, 2020 12:25 PM
  • Please email me at azcommunity@microsoft.com with your subscription ID and a link to this post. I will send a skype invitation for deeper investigation on this case.

Monday, April 13, 2020 5:36 PM
  • Hello,

Did you try reaching us? Any update on this issue?

Regards,
    Subhash

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 2:50 PM