VSMDI does not display the test lists RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am running Visual Studio 2010 Premium on a Windows XP x64 machine. We also use TFS 2010. In our team of 4 we are working together on a solution. For some reason when I open the .vsmdi file on my machine, it does not display the test lists. With Process Monitor I was able to see that the correct .vsmdi file is being opened and when I open that .vsmdi file in Notepad++ I can see the test lists in the XML.

I am the only one in my team who is seeing this issue. What can I do to fix this? Restarting Visual Studio 2010 does not help...

I have the impression that this might happen when there are double TestLink entries in one of the tests. Is it possible that Visual Studio 2010 thinks that the .vsmdi file is corrupt and then just removes it from the .sln?

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:14 AM

Answers

• We were able to reproduce this on all workstations. The reason that we did not see the Test Lists was indeed due to the fact that there were duplicated TestLinks in the .vsmdi.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:47 PM

All replies

• Hello,

First please verify whether you have got the lattest version of this .vsmdi file. If so, could you please compare the content in it with other 3 to see if you get this file with same content. If they contain same content, I think the root cause may more related to Visual Studio itself. You can try the following steps to see if this issue still exists:

a)     Try to run devenv /ResetSettings (in command prompt) to eliminate the related potential settings problem.

b)     Try disabling Add-ins (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) or run “devenv.exe /SafeMode”.This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. (For more detailed VS command line switches information, see: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xee0c8y7.aspx )

c)     Try to reboot the operating system to safe mode. This can help to isolate whether any other applications are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can be applied or not. In addition to safe mode, we can also try “clean boot”: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 .

d)      Try to create a new user account. This can help isolate user profile corruption related causes.

You can also run devenv /setup and devenv /resetskippkgs in order in command prompt to see if this issue has gone.

Edwer Fang [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:44 AM
  • We were able to reproduce this on all workstations. The reason that we did not see the Test Lists was indeed due to the fact that there were duplicated TestLinks in the .vsmdi.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Hello,

Great to hear you have found the cause.

Wish you a good day.

Edwer Fang [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Hello,

I have nearly the same problem.

We have a VS 2010 solution with many unit tests (about 800).

I am using VS 2010 Premium Edition.

In the Test List Editor I created some test lists and moved the unit tests into the lists.

If I open the Test List Editor in our Solution with VS 2010 Premium Edition, everything works fine. I can choose the test list and execute all unit tests in this list.

But If another team member (they use VS 2010 Professional Edition) opens the Solution with VS 2010 Professional Edition, there are no test lists anymore.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Stefan

Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:34 AM
  • Hy,

I have nearly the same problem.

We are using VS 2010.

We have a solution with many unit tests (about 800).

I'm using VS 2010 Premium Edition.

In the Test List Editor I created some test lists and moved the unit tests into the lists.

If I open the Test List Editor in our Solution with VS 2010 Premium Edition, everything works fine. I can choose the test list and execute all unit tests in this list.

But If another team member (the others are using VS 2010 Professional Edition) opens the Solution with VS 2010 Professional Edition, there are no test lists anymore.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Stefan

Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:37 AM
  • but no fix or any other useful feedback . . . oh well. I'll have another go at persuading the boss to use a different test runner
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I had similar problem. I created new CLASS library (with manually added reference to unit test framework).

Everything was fine (public classes / test attributes), unit tests were not added to list and problem was in PROJ file. There was missed line:

<ProjectTypeGuids>{3AC096D0-A1C2-E12C-1390-A8335801FDAB};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}</ProjectTypeGuids>

This line was in every our TEST PROJ files (I looked for differences between valid PROJ <> invalid PROJ). I manually added it to PROJ file and unit test have been available in the list.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:45 PM