none
Sharepoint does not appear to tidy up the database when documents are deleted. RRS feed

• Question

• An observation. I copied a site across to our development farm, deleted all the documents and emptied the recycle bins. The database was still 55Gb. The Recycle Bin Timer Job had run. I turned off the recycle bins and the database showed almost 75% free space. It is now just over 13Gb. Does this mean that SharePoint does not tidy up the database after documents are deleted?

Cheers Ross

Thursday, October 17, 2019 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Ross,

The Recycle Bin Timer Job Looks for content in the Recycle Bins and moves it to the next stage or deletes it. 

Reference: Default timer jobs in SharePoint 2013

Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 supports two stages of recycle bins, the first-stage Recycle Bin and the Site Collection — also called the second-stage — Recycle Bin. When Recycle Bins are enabled, users can restore items that are in them, including deleted files, documents, list items, lists, and document libraries.

By default, items that users delete are sent to the Recycle Bin. As a site collection administrator, you can view those items in the End user Recycle Bin items view on the Site Collection Administration Recycle Bin page. When a user deletes an item from the Recycle Bin, it is sent to the Site Collection (Second-Stage) Recycle Bin. As a site collection administrator, you can view those items in the Deleted from end user Recycle Bin view.

When you delete an item from the Site Collection (Second-Stage) Recycle Bin, it is permanently deleted from the site.

Reference: Manage the Recycle bin of a SharePoint site

Plan to protect content by using recycle bins and versioning

If you are considering save space, we recommend that you designate how much disk space is available to the second-stage Recycle Bin as a percentage of the quota allotted to the Web application. Items stored in the second-stage Recycle Bin do not count toward the site quota; however, the size that is specified for the second-stage Recycle Bin increases the total size of the site and the content database that hosts it. If no site quota has been set, there is no limit on the size of the second-stage Recycle Bin. 

Set the second stage recycle bin quota to a lower percentage of site quota

Configure SharePoint Recycle Bin settings

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Monday, October 21, 2019 9:12 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2019 2:52 AM
  • Hi, Ross,

I am checking how things are going here. Does my explanation solve your question? Are there further concerns about this issue? It the reply helps you, please mark the reply as answer.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Jerry

No it does not answer the question. I deleted all the content of the site, emptied both recycle bins, ran the Recycle Bin Timer Job and the site database still took up 55Gb. By turning off the Recycle Bin the Database dropped to 13Gb. I was wondering if anyone knew what was not deleted from the Database when Items are Deleted from the Site.

I am not worried about space as I have set a quota for the Second Stage Recycle Bin. You must admit it is a considerable amount of space to loose (42Gb) to items that have been deleted.

Cheers Ross

Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:35 AM