none
How to analyze driver delays during SMSSInit boot phase in Windows 10 WPA? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In the past (circa Windows 7), I was able to get the "Driver Delay" graph with the following command

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\Trace

This was useful for troubleshooting SMSSInit, and this is how it looked.

The command still works, but I don't see the graph in GUI anymore. Neither I see it when running the boot sequence with WPR.

Has the driver delays graph been removed? Is there a specific WPR console command that gets it back? Is there an alternative method to analyze driver delays during Session Init?

Thanks,
    Vadim 

Бесплатная книга об ускорении загрузки Windows

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Mr. Sterkin. Were you able to discover a solution for this? I'm having some problems with long driver initialization times and this is exactly what I'm looking for.
    Monday, May 20, 2019 1:31 AM
  • You can view driver initialization and load delays as long as the trace has the Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP provider events. In WPA.exe go to Graph Explorer->System Activity->General Events and look for the Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP provider. Right-Click and filter to the provider and open the carats to see the "Task Name" fields. DriverInit and DriverLoad are the tasks you want to view. Check the Time (s) column for the time between the start and stop of each init and load of the drivers to see if there are any long multi second gaps.

Chad Schultz -MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:02 PM
  • Chad, thanks for following up on this ancient thread. I've since figured out that the information I was asking about can be found in the PNP node of the XML created by the command like:

xperf /tti -i boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl -o summary_boot.xml -a boot

However, while the PNP node was always present in Windows 7 ETLs created with the command from the first post of this thread, it's missing in most Windows 10 ETLs created with the same command or the WPR boot sequence. (This observation is based on my personal experience of troubleshooting boot delays in other forums).

I don't know if the PNP node in XML comes from the same Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP provider. But I'd be really interested in finding out why the PNP info is absent on Windows 10 traces (and why it still might be present in some cases). By the same token, I'd like to know how to get this info in the trace.

Бесплатная книга об ускорении загрузки Windows

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:19 PM