none
Project Online AD synchronized duplicate resources RRS feed

• Question

• We frequently have problems with assigning tasks to users and having timesheets populate with task assignments when:

• User's AD account name changes (due to contractor becoming an employee) and is assigned to the same project they were working on before
    • User leaves, AD and PWA account inactivated, and user returns and is assigned to the same project they were working on before

Our resource accounts are created through AD synchronization. 

For example, Joe Smith - a contractor - with the logon account of c-jsmith is working on PROJECT Z. Joe Smith is hired by the company and becomes an employee. A new AD account is created for Joe Smith (same name) with a logon of jsmith. He is assigned to PROJECT Z. Through AD synchronization a new resource account is created in Project Web App. The old resource account for Joe Smith (c-jsmith) is inactivated manually. The original AD account (c-jsmith) is deleted by the Active Directory team.

PROJECT Z is opened, and I "replace" the old Joe Smith (c-jsmith) with the new Joe Smith (jsmith). 

When I try to assign Joe Smith to any tasks, both Joes show up. Which one do I pick? I select the first one and I go into Resource Usage and Project has assigned it to the wrong Joe. I go back, remove the assignment, and reassign the task to the second Joe in the list (who, I might add, displays the same address as the first when hovering over it). Same thing - on the Resource Usage view the task is assigned to the old Joe. Furthermore, it doesn't matter what I do, the task will not display on Joe's timesheet. Joe logs in to PWA, and doesn't see a thing on his timesheet or his task list. He tries to add from existing assignments - can't do it. The only thing that works is for Joe to "Add a new task" to create a new task for himself on PROJECT Z. This is not ideal as for each new task, we have to mess around with the schedule to work it in.

I experience the same issue when someone leaves and comes back. A new AD account is created for the person (as the old one was inactivated), but the user name remains the same, and as far as Project is concerned, it is the same person. 

Can you provide any advice as to how I can avoid this situation, or fix it?

Thank you.

Monday, August 26, 2019 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the only way I was able to solve in the past was using Team Planner View. There I was able to create assignment using drag and drop.

I did just a quick test and think it is possible to solve with a macro. Should I look into it or does Team Planner already help?

Regards
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German)

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:22 AM
  • I was able to reassign tasks to the correct resource using the Team Planner view. There was one case where I still wasn't able to get the tasks to display on the resource's timesheets. That required backing out some time, but eventually we were able to resolve the problem using the Team Planner. Thank you very much!
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 9:11 PM