none
Task Level custom field with Formulae RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Folks 

I have task level custom field call "Task Status" with lookup values "WIP","Completed" in MS Project 2016

When i change the Task status to "Completed" then % complete has to update 100% automatically 

Similarly , When i change the Task status to "WIP" then % complete has to update 50% automatically 

Any ideas or links would be useful for me

Regards

Santosh

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:28 AM

Answers

• Santosh --

Interesting question.  In addition to the excellent answer from my colleague, John, I would recommend that you change your thinking about the custom task field named Task Status.  First of all, were you aware that there is a built-in Task field named Status that provides similar functionality to your Task Status custom field.  When you enter progress on tasks in your project, such as using the % Complete field, the Status field automatically calculates one of the following values:  Complete, Late, On Schedule, or Future Task.  The Status field also includes a companion field named Status Indicator that displays a corresponding indicator for each of the Status field values.

If you have some type of organization requirement for using the Task Status custom field, I would recommend that you change the field from using lookup values to using a formula instead.  Use the formula to test the % Complete value for each task.  If the % Complete value is 100%, the formula should return a "Completed" value for the task.  If the % Complete value is greater than 0% and less than 100%, the formula should return a "WIP" value.  If the % Complete value is 0%, then the formula should return a blank value.

Just a couple of thoughts to complement the advice that John offered you.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 6:02 PM

All replies

• itsmeantosh1982,

In order to do what you want you will need to use VBA. Custom field formulas work only on extra fields, they cannot change built-in fields (e.g. % Complete). However, why mess around with a custom task status field when you can simply use the built-in percent complete options found on Task > Schedule group,

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:48 PM
  • Santosh --

Interesting question.  In addition to the excellent answer from my colleague, John, I would recommend that you change your thinking about the custom task field named Task Status.  First of all, were you aware that there is a built-in Task field named Status that provides similar functionality to your Task Status custom field.  When you enter progress on tasks in your project, such as using the % Complete field, the Status field automatically calculates one of the following values:  Complete, Late, On Schedule, or Future Task.  The Status field also includes a companion field named Status Indicator that displays a corresponding indicator for each of the Status field values.

If you have some type of organization requirement for using the Task Status custom field, I would recommend that you change the field from using lookup values to using a formula instead.  Use the formula to test the % Complete value for each task.  If the % Complete value is 100%, the formula should return a "Completed" value for the task.  If the % Complete value is greater than 0% and less than 100%, the formula should return a "WIP" value.  If the % Complete value is 0%, then the formula should return a blank value.

Just a couple of thoughts to complement the advice that John offered you.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 6:02 PM