none
Azure File Sync - strange problems registering new file server (cannot login) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'm faily new to Azure and I proactively excuse if this is somehow a lame question.

I'm trying to setup Azure file sync for a test/home lap environment with an Azure Pay-As-You-Go subscription.
    My Azure account is setup using my personal Microsoft account, and I'm actually not sure whether this is the core issue here.

My goal is to create a solution where file server in my test lap - a Windows Server 2019 std (currently running in evaluation mode), syncs some shared folders to Azure.
    I try to setup this using the tutorial found here 
    https://www.petri.com/deploy-azure-file-sync

I have setup a Storage Account in Azure under my subscription and a created a Storage Sync Service.
    I downloaded the Azure File sync agent and install,ed it on my 2019 server (after installing the az powershell modules using Install-Module -Name Az -Repository PSGallery -Force).

Everything should be in place according to the tutorial from petri.com, but when I run the Azure file sync server registration wizard, I'm not able to login.
    My username and/or password is rejected.

First I thought it would be related to Internet Explorer and I disabled the enhanced security, but the problem persisted. So I downloaded and used Google Chrome instead, which for the most cases solves such issues. But still the same.
    I reset my Live account password, but still no luck.

I tried to logoff the portal and login again with the same credentials, and got in.
    I tried again from the server but kept get rejected.
    I tried with my company Microsoft account and got through and got an error about no subscription found. So the login works from the server in terms of prerecuisite software etc.

I'm bangin my head against the wall. Is this related to the type of account I use for this? It's strange because I can setup everything from within the Azure portal, so I guess this is not the case. But still....

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 8:30 AM

Answers

• @Thomassoupdated the credit card in the Azure portal, and password reset made working of Microsoft account. Was able to login and issue fixed. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, November 22, 2019 4:31 AM

All replies

• When I close the login window after the failed login attemt I get the following message in the bottom of the Azure File Sync setup wizard:

"User cancelled authentication. On an Android device, this could be due to the lack of capabillities, such as custom tabs, for the system browser..."

I know we live in 2019 but I'm on a Windows Server 2019...

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 8:24 PM
  • This is the official deployment guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-sync-files-deployment-guide?tabs=azure-portal

Disabling the IE enhanced protection usually does the trick. It does sound like you are not able to auth to azure in general. Do try opening the azure portal from IE on the same machine.

Alternatively, you can register the server using powershell - the link I shared above should have all the info.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 12:31 AM
  • Yeah, I used that exact guide yesterday. I thought I might circumvent the login issue by using powershell to register the server, but the powershell seems to call the same function. I was presented with the login prompt and got no further.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:47 AM
  • I guess this must have something to do with my Azure/ Live login itself.
    Everything have been tried on the server - other browsers, lowered IE internet security/ put login.live.com to the trusted sites zone and disabled protected mode in IE.

I cannot login from this server in any browser, but when I'm on the laptop and login through Chrome I get in without any problems.

I must admit that I'm quit puzzled about this, I'm aware that IE is crappy and that it can be hard to access even Microsofts own services with this browser, but it's usually solved with other broesers.

I can login through the Azure sync client with my company email, so I guess this has something to do with the fact that I'm using my own private email for testing Azure?! It shouldn't have to be this way and I can access the portal and create services within the portal.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:27 PM
  • Could you please reach to me via AZCommunity[AT]microsoft.com with a link to this Issue as well as your subscription ID and we will work on this issue. Please mention "ATTN subm" in the subject field.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:44 PM
  • @Thomassoupdated the credit card in the Azure portal, and password reset made working of Microsoft account. Was able to login and issue fixed. 

Friday, November 22, 2019 4:31 AM