ARM Templates - Linking templates deployed/stored in the portal? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

On the road to fully automating VM deployment and moving from PowerShell to ARM templates that are stored in the Portal.  This is working great for deploying simple solutions i.e. one resource group and a few VMs.

I am now looking to step it up and enable more complex deployments i.e. multiple resource groups.  I've been reading Docs to get an understanding of nested and linked templates and this looks great, however it doesn't appear to work with deploying from the portal.

Is this assumption correct on my part or am I just missing something.  Are there any tricks to linking templates that are stored in the portal?  It seems a bit silly to copy templates to a separate storage account then mess about with SAS tokens etc when they are already hosted in Azure and accessible to the user running them.

Any tips or hints gratefully received!

Cheers

Rob

Friday, February 1, 2019 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes this is correct. You cannot use linked templates when you try to do deployment from the portal except if you haven't uploaded them in advance to a storage account and issued SAS token.

Most people would create a script that takes care of creating storage account, upload templates and issue token that is provided as input to the main arm template. If you have Visual Studio and create ARM project, that project basically contains such script. You can copy it, modify it and use it.

Mark this reply as answer if it was useful. 

Friday, February 1, 2019 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes this is correct. You cannot use linked templates when you try to do deployment from the portal except if you haven't uploaded them in advance to a storage account and issued SAS token.

Most people would create a script that takes care of creating storage account, upload templates and issue token that is provided as input to the main arm template. If you have Visual Studio and create ARM project, that project basically contains such script. You can copy it, modify it and use it.

Mark this reply as answer if it was useful. 

Friday, February 1, 2019 7:01 PM
  • Thanks for the confirmation Stanislav
    Saturday, February 2, 2019 9:53 AM