CHESS DevLabs Release Coming to a Close RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi CHESS users,

The DevLabs release of CHESS is coming to an end soon, as it has just been over a year since we released CHESS on DevLabs. Planning is underway right now for the next release of Visual Studio (post VS2010), so if you have any further feedback about concurrency testing tools (such as CHESS) and what you'd like to see in future releases of Visual Studio regarding support around concurrency testing/debugging, this would be a good time to post your ideas. Best,

-- Tom
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 9:14 PM

All replies

• Is there going to be a new version of CHESS available to download soon?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:37 AM
  • We will continue to periodically refresh the academic release.  However, we do not expect to update the devlabs/commercial release, since it will soon be unavailable for download.  Are there particular features/fixes you are interested in?

-- Tom
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:52 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Documentation built into ChessBoard would be welcome. There could be a section in this documentation for multithreaded theory and key terms to know (race condition, synchronization event, livelock, volatile, etc), and another section for what the options of ChessBoard do.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:12 PM
  • I have only just started using Chess, but my impressions are all positive. I think it is an invaluable tool to help write correct concurrent software and to understand schedules that are possible but rare.

I'm sure you have done a lot of work over the past year and would love to try out the current version. You say the devlabs release will soon be removed, which is a real shame. I do hope a new version will be publicly available soon.

I think Chess is a necessary part of the Visual Studio tool set and should continue to be developed. It would be a great loss if it is not released as a product and widely publicised.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:08 PM
  • I just found out about Chess and am so stoked about it's potential on our team!  A few questions after reading this post though:

(1) You mentioned that the DevLabs release will be going away?  Will this tool no longer be available for anything other than academic use?  If so, I am really disappointed to hear that!  

(2) Will we ever be able to use Chess with VS2010?

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:32 PM
  • I'd second the request for VS2010 support.

We just upgraded everyone here from VS2008 Pro to VS2010 Premium (w/ MSDN), and we're using .Net 4. I was hoping we'd be able to start using CHESS, as we're starting to see some nasty little concurrency bugs.

It sounds like MSFT's commercial plans for CHESS are for a future version of VS, so could we have something to use for the next few years? Pretty please! :-)

James

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:14 AM
  • I third Visual Studio 2010. I would like to try CHESS on Tasks, the new classes in System.Collections.Concurrent, and the new classes in System.Threading.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:31 PM
  • Chess support for Visual Studio 2010, any news? Can someone please answer regarding the plans?

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:58 PM
  • I fifth that - any news for using CHESS in vs2010 ?
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:10 AM
  • as everyone else I want to use chess on VS 2010

we really want It to be available yesterday

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:17 PM
  • We're going for a record here!  Seventh vote for VS2010 support.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Another vote for VS2010 support.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:56 PM