Azure PAAS Service - Web Apps - Patching, Upgrade, Maintenance and Downtime RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Where can I get detail information 'bout how the patching is done for the Azure PAAS service - Web Sites. 

We are using Azure PAAS service - Website selected from the Gallery - Apache Tomcat with Java .

We would like to know how the Patches are applied, Upgrades are done and how it impacts the service. 

If there are downtimes or what patch it has and what patch will be applied.

Any Place on Azure or Microsoft website where these are detailed. 

Thanks,

Trupt

Thursday, April 23, 2015 1:24 PM

Answers

• Hello,

If you are referring to the app itself in Azure App Service when you deploy a Web App from the gallery you get an install of whatever item you selected. That item will not be automatically updated and it will be your responsibility to update it. The reason why we do that is because if we were to try an update the container this will most likely break your application especially if you had customized that container in any way.
    In the case of Tomcat and Jetty I can tell you that they are not updated after install.

If you are referring to the OS, we do update the OS and IIS version from time to time and when we do if we see the possibility of this affecting your app there will be an e-mail sent to the e-mail account registered under the subscription notifying him/her of the maintenance. Normally you shouldn't experience any downtime.

Regards,

Cristhian Uribe Microsoft MSFT)

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Azure PaaS team takes care of the infrastructure health by keeping the infrastructure updated against all the known vulnerabilities for which fixes have been distributed.  Since this process is opaque to the developers and is automatic, the risk of information breach resulting from the known vulnerabilities is significantly reduced.

You may check the dashboard for service interruptions.

You can add web app metrics and receive the metrics, view usage quota etc. see Monitor Web Apps in Azure App Service

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Thursday, April 23, 2015 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

My Question was more 'bout how the patching is done for Azure PAAS service. Somewhere in your documentation it was mentioned that there could be slight downtime while patching is done. 

Therefore, wanted to know how the patching is applied, where can we see such notifications if available for Public.

Thanks,

Truptanand

Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:24 PM
  • Hi,

I am not too sure if the data is available in public.

I am currently researching to gather more information with regards to your request.

I shall revert back to you with an update at the earliest.

Sincerely appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Friday, April 24, 2015 3:35 PM
  • Hello,

If you are referring to the app itself in Azure App Service when you deploy a Web App from the gallery you get an install of whatever item you selected. That item will not be automatically updated and it will be your responsibility to update it. The reason why we do that is because if we were to try an update the container this will most likely break your application especially if you had customized that container in any way.
    In the case of Tomcat and Jetty I can tell you that they are not updated after install.

If you are referring to the OS, we do update the OS and IIS version from time to time and when we do if we see the possibility of this affecting your app there will be an e-mail sent to the e-mail account registered under the subscription notifying him/her of the maintenance. Normally you shouldn't experience any downtime.

Regards,

Cristhian Uribe Microsoft MSFT)

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

We do patch Java runtime and JSP runtime (like Tomcat and Jetty) installed on the host for Windows and Java blessed images on Linux (currently in preview). For custom docker images on Linux, the customers are responsible to patch their images.

There are cases for Windows in which the customer can bring their own Java runtime and/or bring their own copy of the JSP runtime. In these cases, the customer is also responsible for patching the binaries that they are bringing.

In other cases, the gallery items may choose to use the installed binaries on the host or bring their own copies. In the particular case of using the App Service gallery item “Apache Tomcat 8” for Windows, the gallery item uses the “bring you own tomcat” concept which means that the customer won’t take advantage of the automatic patching capabilities for Tomcat but it will take automatic patching for the JVM. For more info, please see the repository used by that gallery item: https://github.com/azureappserviceoss/Tomcat, in this case the web.config tells httpPlatformHandler module the location of Tomcat. 

To take the full advantage of automatic patching of Java and JSP runtimes on Windows, please create a regular site and enable tomcat using the App Settings blade. Other option is to create a Linux site using any of our Tomcat images from the Runtime Stack list.

Unfortunately, we don’t have this documented properly yet

Thanks,

Joaquín

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 3:02 AM