Azure Analysis Services authentication in a web application possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Authentication to Azure Analysis Services -using MFA- is certainly possible in a Desktop app, using e.g. Adomd.Net. Now, I'm exploring the possibility of authenticating from a Web application -e.g. doing the oauth authorization flow and getting the access_token-. 

From the research I've done so far, this doesn't look possible. I cannot find any valid oauth scope/resource to ask for when invoking Microsoft's oauth2/authorize. 

I've noticed that neither Excel online nor Power BI on web are able to connect to AAS, so I'm a bit hopeless here. 

Does anyone have some insights to share?

Thanks in advance!

Mauro.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hello ,

Are you planning to connect from a web application ? It is certainly possible to do that in a web app, and use the access token.  When the user logs in to the WebApp, they'd go through MFA, and AAD will send the access token to the reply URL that's configured with the app.

Thanks Himanshu

• Proposed as answer by HimanshuSinha-msft Thursday, March 26, 2020 5:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MLopezUY Monday, March 30, 2020 1:27 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2020 12:03 AM
  • Hi MLopezUY,

Just checking to see if the above suggestion/information was helpful. If this answers your query, please do consider to click “Mark as Answer” and "Up-Vote" as it might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Friday, March 27, 2020 7:19 PM
  • Hi MLopezUY,

Following up to see if the above information was helpful? Let us know if you have any further query. 

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Saturday, March 28, 2020 8:21 PM
  • Hi Himanshu! Thanks a lot for your answer and I apologise for the late reply. 

Yes, I'm interested in connecting from a web application. Like you say, I'm expecting to get the access token to the reply URL configured... well, actually I'm expecting to get the oauth code, and then get an access_token from that code. Anyway, the problem is that to get the code in the reply URL, I need to configure my app to request the appropriate scope/resources (I'm assuming that I need to use the v1 oauth). Now, those scopes/resources must be configured in the app registration and I cannot find the appropriate scope/resources to configure. 

Monday, March 30, 2020 1:35 PM