none
Cannot load shared 'project' in Windows Universal app after upgrading to Azure SDK 2.6 RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed the April 2015 release of the Azure SDK. It is version 2.6 and previously I was on 2.5. Now one of my projects will not load. It is the shared project in a Windows Universal application.

When I right-click the project and choose 'reload' I get the pop-up error 

> The method or operation is not implemented

VS Screenshot

The output window gives more detail:

> Things.Shared.shproj : error  : The composition produced a single
    > composition error. The root cause is provided below. Review the
    > CompositionException.Errors property for more detailed information.

> 1) No exports were found that match the constraint: 
    > ContractName Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.References.IBuildDependencyProjectReferencesService
    > RequiredTypeIdentity Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.References.IBuildDependencyProjectReferencesService

> Resulting in: Cannot set import
    > 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService.ProjectReferencesService
    > (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.References.IBuildDependencyProjectReferencesService")'
    > on part
    > 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService'.
    > Element:
    > Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService.ProjectReferencesService
    > (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.References.IBuildDependencyProjectReferencesService")
    > -->  Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService

> Resulting in: Cannot get export
    > 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService.WireUp
    > (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.ConfiguredProject.AutoLoad")'
    > from part
    > 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService'.
    > Element:
    > Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService.WireUp
    > (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.ConfiguredProject.AutoLoad")
    > -->  Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService

The other parts to the Windows Universal app (the Windows 8.1 project and the Windows Phone 8.1 project) have two Azure NuGet packages installed: Windows Azure Mobile Services 1.3.2 and Windows Azure Storage 4.3.0. (N.B. Those two projects load without issue.)

This is not a show stopper for me since uninstalling the Azure SDK 2.6 removes the load failure. To uninstall I go via the Control Panel to 'uninstall or change a program' and then uninstall Microsoft Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 - v2.6

Control Panel uninstall screenshot

I would like to know how to fix this without uninstalling the Azure SDK 4.6.

Friday, May 1, 2015 6:49 AM

Answers

• The build of Azure SDK 2.6 is now available, but it may not have propagated to all download servers yet. 

You can run the Web Platform Installer and if you don’t have the new build installed, it should allow you to install 2.6 again.  But it might not if you are accessing a download server that doesn’t have the new bits yet.  If WebPI doesn't allow you to install 2.6 again, then wait a few hours and try again. 

The build number for the version with the fixes is build 2.6.30508.1601. You can identify the build of the SDK from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Microsoft Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 – v 2.6. The Version column will display the build number.

Chuck Weininger, Dev Lead, Microsoft

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 12:54 AM

All replies

• (N.B. This is a cross-post from Stack Overflow.)
    Friday, May 1, 2015 6:53 AM
  • Hi

Have the same problem and waiting for an answer also.

Code is like a box of chocolates!...

Saturday, May 2, 2015 5:24 PM
  • Any word?

Mitch Milam, Microsoft MVP - CRM, http://blogs.infinite-x.net

Monday, May 4, 2015 9:06 PM
  • Hi everyone we are investigating the issue. Will post an update when we have one.

Thanks for your patience

Monday, May 4, 2015 10:32 PM
  • I went ahead and opened a support case

Mitch Milam, Microsoft MVP - CRM, http://blogs.infinite-x.net

Monday, May 4, 2015 10:59 PM
  • We have been able to reproduce the issue, but don't have a workaround at this time.  If you want to use the Universal App projects with VS 2013, you will have to uninstall Azure SDK for VS 2.6.  The issue does not happen on VS 2015 RC if you would like to give that a try.  We hope to have news soon about how we can get a fix for this issue on VS 2013.

• Proposed as answer by Ove Andersen Friday, May 8, 2015 9:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:29 PM
  • Having the same problem :(

Happy Coding.

Regards,
    Jaliya Udagedara (MVP - Visual C#, MCPD, MCSD) | My Blog

Friday, May 8, 2015 5:11 AM
  • Thanks Chuck. Let us know when there's news of a fix for Visual Studio 2013 and I'll mark that as the answer.
    Friday, May 8, 2015 11:01 AM
  • Same problem. Any solutions?
    Friday, May 8, 2015 11:48 AM
  • We will be re-releasing Azure SDK 2.6 with a fix for this issue.  We are working through the logistics right now, but it shouldn't take long. I'm hoping that by mid next week we can have the new release available to you.

Friday, May 8, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Thanks, waiting for this bugfix.

Yanzhi

Friday, May 8, 2015 4:29 PM
  • I don't think this is just a Universal app issue, I get the same behavior on a Xamarin shared code project...

Friday, May 8, 2015 4:37 PM
  • I get the same error ("This method or operation is not implelemted") when I try to convert my Windows Phone Xaml app to an universal app (add a Windows 8.1 and Shared projects). The Windows 8.1 project is added but Shared proj is empty and an error dialog is displayed.

Sunday, May 10, 2015 11:14 PM
  • Howsit Chuck,

Any News on this awesome and miraculous fix :)

Im pretty keen to get my projects up and rolling again with 2.6 :)

Thanks,

Ross

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:48 AM
  • Same here ;)

Thanks,

Andreas

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:40 PM
  • this issue still persists. went through updates just now. Eagerly awaiting a fix.

Thanks

Tushar

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:59 PM
  • This is really problematic as it's completely hosed my solution and I didn't notice until after I migrated my Azure projects to 2.6 and deployed updates using it. If an update is coming very soon I'll wait rather than go through the pain of trying to revert to 2.5. Or if there's a workaround I can do to fix up the project please do share...
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 3:19 AM
  • We are still working through some issues, but plan to release a fix tomorrow or Monday.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:33 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

Will I find out about a fix on this news thread or will I need to keep an eye on the Azure SDK portal?

I'm in the same boat, Azure SDK 2.6 has stalled my Universal App development, a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Guess its time to install VS 2015 ;-)

Steve

Steve

Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:54 PM
  • One more case, using VS2013 SP4, no Azure, just using the standard Json file included with the template and NUGet json in a Universal App.

I had made a backup (a straight copy into another folder). And, the problem exists in all versions/copies of the project.

• Edited by prebeta Friday, May 15, 2015 3:24 AM
    Friday, May 15, 2015 3:20 AM
  • Another case here - in my case, it breaks the codeShow shared sample project from Microsoft IT Academy. Git repo is here: https://github.com/codefoster/codeshow

Steps to reproduce: 1) Make sure Azure SDK 2.6 is installed. 2) Clone the codeshow repo. 2) Attempt build.

Result: Shared projects will show as not loaded, compile error as follows:

1) No exports were found that match the constraint: 

ContractName Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.References.IBuildDependencyProjectReferencesService

RequiredTypeIdentity Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.References.IBuildDependencyProjectReferencesService

Resulting in: Cannot set import 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService.ProjectReferencesService (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.References.IBuildDependencyProjectReferencesService")' on part 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService'.

Element: Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService.ProjectReferencesService (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.References.IBuildDependencyProjectReferencesService") -->  Microsoft.VisualStudio.Azure.Deployment.ProjectReferenceMaintenanceService
    Friday, May 15, 2015 9:12 PM
  • Got a solution which may not work for everybody. But, I had a second box with VS2013 SP2 no additional updates loaded my project and BOOM. The shared project is loading.

I believe the issue is related to the Azure update VS2013.

As, a suggestion if you only have one box, uninstall VS2013 re-install VS2013 and then try opening your project without updates in VS.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, May 16, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Confirmed. Ran system restore in my original box. Went back to before the time that I installed the Azure updates in April 2015.

Now, I am able to open my project and see the shared project in my Universal Windows project.

Monday, May 18, 2015 4:23 AM
  • The build of Azure SDK 2.6 is now available, but it may not have propagated to all download servers yet. 

You can run the Web Platform Installer and if you don’t have the new build installed, it should allow you to install 2.6 again.  But it might not if you are accessing a download server that doesn’t have the new bits yet.  If WebPI doesn't allow you to install 2.6 again, then wait a few hours and try again. 

The build number for the version with the fixes is build 2.6.30508.1601. You can identify the build of the SDK from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Microsoft Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 – v 2.6. The Version column will display the build number.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 12:54 AM
  • Confirm - 2.6.30508.1601 fixes the issue. Thanks!
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:40 AM

Ok this solved it for me, thank you!

Jonas Hendrickx

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 8:48 AM
  • Thank you for the information, Chuck! I ran the Web Platform Installer and installed the Microsoft Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 - v 2.6 to solve my problem on the App Shared project of my Universal Windows App solution. I am glad to report the problem is solved.
    Monday, May 25, 2015 8:14 PM
  • Perfect!
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 11:27 PM