none
Azure backup fail alerts but job completed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having issues with an azure backup. I keep getting the alert

Backup failure alert has been activated
    You’re receiving this email because a Backup failure alert has been activated for xen-srv1.xenali.net.
    Severity
    Critical
    Alert
    Backup failure
    Backup item(s)
    C:\, D:\ on (server name)
    Description
    This operation cannot be performed now because a backup or restore operation is currently in progress.
    Recommended action(s)
    Wait until the operation finishes or cancel the currently running operation, and then try again.

I log on to the Azure Agent on my server and it is stating that the job has been completed with a green checkmark.

There is only One Job which backs up my C and D Drive.

Why is this happening?

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 2:49 PM

All replies

• When was the alert configured? Was it working fine before?

When do you get the false alert (Date/Time)? Is it during the backup schedule?

Are all your backups running as per the schedule?

It is always recommended to keep your backup agent updated. You can download the agent updates from this link.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:24 PM
  • alert was configured a couple months ago.

the backup false alert happened at 6pm

then the job completed alert was 6pm

back ups are running as per schedule

ill give the update a try

Friday, April 5, 2019 2:11 PM
  • The catch here is the false alert and job completed alert are triggering at the same time (6pm). 

What is your backup schedule time and how long it runs?

Try with latest updates and see if that fixes the issue. Let us know on the progress.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 10:48 AM
  • Sorry my mistake,

The Start Time of the Job is at 6:00pm and it gets completed at 7:00pm. So the job successful time is an hour

At 6:00pm I am also getting the same job stating that it failed then it tries again which becomes successful.

I updated to the latest version and still getting the same issue.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:23 PM
  • This issue needs to be troubleshot in detail. We need to find the root cause of the issue. As this is beyond the purview of the Forums Support, we are requesting that you open a Technical Support Ticket for us to help you better with the same.
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:54 PM
  • I'm facing the exact same issue. My files and folders backup scheduled is daily at 12 AM, 8 AM, and 4 PM. Every day at around 12:03 AM I get a "A Backup failure alert has been activated" notification email saying "This operation cannot be performed now because a backup or restore operation is currently in progress."

Upon checking the Jobs tabs in the Microsoft Azure Backup software in my server, I can see the 12 AM always fires twice, with one succeeding and the other one failing with error stated above.

I'm running the latest version of the backup agent from https://aka.ms/azurebackup_agent

Please advice.

Thank you.

Daniel Liuzzi

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:02 AM
  • I am having the same problem with every backup job I've set an alert for.  I'll get one or two emails stating 'This operation cannot be performed now because a backup or restore operation is currently in progress'. for each server but the backup seems to complete.  I am currently just doing my primary migration to cloud backup and assumed that it was due to the fact that I'm pushing a large amount of data and it's complaining that the job can't run because another one is, but I seem to be getting them for sites where the initial backup is completed and we're not doing incrementals.

John

Thursday, June 13, 2019 12:22 PM
  • @John, Could reschedule the job to a different time and see if that works?

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 9:40 AM
  • @John, Could reschedule the job to a different time and see if that works?

Sure - just set it back and will report back tomorrow.

John

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:42 PM
  • So I rescheduled the job to run at 830p instead of 8p last night and didn't get an error email.  

I'm not understanding what difference this makes even though it worked?  There were no other Azure Backup jobs running before I did the rescheduling to begin with?

John

Thursday, June 27, 2019 3:53 PM
  • @John This is a known issue and we are working on finding the root cause of the issue. I shall update this forum thread once we know the root cause and a fix for the same.

Friday, June 28, 2019 6:00 AM