process model in Azure SSAS, connect to SQL Data Warehouse, data source, service principal RRS feed

• Question

• Have someone ever managed to authenticate as a service principal in the data source of the model to the sql database?

I have model in Azure SSAS. The data source is in SQL Data Warehouse. I process the model with powershell. Currently I have set up the connection in the model with a SQL login and password, but I want authenticate with my service princial in order to avoid a sql login and password.

I only get messages such as "'Windows authentication has been disabled in the current context.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface."

Thursday, May 9, 2019 11:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Henrik,

You may refer the MSDN thread which addressing similar issue.

In case if the above thread doesn’t helped, I would request you to provide the below information:

• Share the PowerShell command which you are trying?
    • Share the complete error message along with the screenshot?

Hope this helps.

Friday, May 10, 2019 5:43 AM
  • Hi Henrik,

Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Monday, May 13, 2019 8:57 AM
  • If you have tried to create a project in SSAS, you will see that you need to create a data source. This data source requires a way to authenticate yourself towards the data source.

The power shell aspect of this is in the process of connecting from Azure Automation to the SSAS instance. This works fine.

What we need is a way the impersonate the user, the service principal, towards the database in the data souce of the model.

The problem seems to be limitations in the data source of the model. It may seem as there is no such way to accomplish this in Azure SSAS, but only in a onprem scenario.

The problem is not the power shell script.

• Edited by Henrik A F Monday, May 13, 2019 9:26 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 9:25 AM
  • Hi

Were you ever able to resolve your issue?

Thanks!

David

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 12:13 PM
  • Not really.

Guess using key vault and powershell is a satisfying workaround.

Friday, February 21, 2020 6:24 PM