MSDTC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please explain how to uninstall MSDTC on windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition

Thanks and Regards,

Lalindu

Monday, July 23, 2012 5:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Juan,

Thank you so much for your quick response.

I Had little problem to follow above steps. In my server "remove roles" option already disabled.

I wanted this for install Biztalk server and SQL server in two servers, for that I have to clear MSDTC settings.

I tried another method I found from web(below), I think that will work.

1. Stop the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service in the Services Control Panel
    2. At a command prompt run "msdtc -uninstall" without quotes. This removes the MSDTC service from the Services Control Panel and the associated service hive along with the CIDs and CID.Locals from the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSDTC
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID.Local

3. Skip this step if you want to preserve existing configuration, such as network transactions and other MSDTC security settings. Otherwise manually delete the following registry keys if they exist:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC

4. At a command prompt run "msdtc -install" without quotes. This reinstalls the MSDTC service and the 4 registry hives above.
    5. At a command prompt run “msdtc –resetlog” without quotes.

Thank you so much for your help. will come back to you if I have further issue with this.

Thanks and Regards, Lalindu

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Lalindu,

Go to Server Manager.

Expand Roles.

Click on Application Server.

Then "Remove Role Services" and remove teh Distributed Transactions.

Also you can try just stopping the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service.

Why do you want to uninstall it, btw?

Hope this help.

Juan Casanova http://jawsofdotnet.blogspot.com - My .Net babling blog

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Hi Juan,

Thank you so much for your quick response.

I Had little problem to follow above steps. In my server "remove roles" option already disabled.

I wanted this for install Biztalk server and SQL server in two servers, for that I have to clear MSDTC settings.

I tried another method I found from web(below), I think that will work.

1. Stop the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service in the Services Control Panel
    2. At a command prompt run "msdtc -uninstall" without quotes. This removes the MSDTC service from the Services Control Panel and the associated service hive along with the CIDs and CID.Locals from the registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID

3. Skip this step if you want to preserve existing configuration, such as network transactions and other MSDTC security settings. Otherwise manually delete the following registry keys if they exist:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC

4. At a command prompt run "msdtc -install" without quotes. This reinstalls the MSDTC service and the 4 registry hives above.
    5. At a command prompt run “msdtc –resetlog” without quotes.

Thank you so much for your help. will come back to you if I have further issue with this.

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Hi Lalindu,

Glad you have find an alternate solution. :)

Do you administrator rights on the server? Maybe that is the reason you have the remove role option disabled.

The following article is very useful for MSDTC troubleshooting. The article is a BizTalk one although it has proven to be useful also for any other application making usage of MSDTC.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa561924%28BTS.10%29.aspx

If uninstalling/installing it doesn't work maybe you get other clues in the article.

Monday, July 23, 2012 10:16 AM
  • Hi Juan,

I do have administrator rights. Thank you for all your advices and guidance.

I have one more question regarding MSDTC. If MSDTC get corrupted while we are installing/ uninstalling the same, is there any method to recover without formatting server?

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:06 AM
  • Not sure of what do you mean by "corrupted". Sadly I am not an IT guy, just a developer, so not sure if there is any way of fixing a corrupted binary if that is your problem. Maybe with a "repair option" on the installation disk?

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:59 AM