none
How to Use Azure CDN as endpoint for Traffic Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a difficult time trying to get this to work.

I have a website that needs to have fast loading speed in China. Azure CDN does not speed up for China users, so I need to use traffic manager to direct East Asia traffic to a server in HK (external endpoint), while for rest of the world, traffic should go through Azure CDN.

No issues getting the Traffic Manager to direct traffic to the external server, but for some reason I keep getting 404 error when pointing to the CDN, whether directly to username.azureedge.net or to cname.domain.com.

Azure CDN is working properly and loading the pages well when not going through traffic manager.

I have tried to add username.trafficmanager.net to Azure CDN as custom domain but that is not possible, system throws an error saying that this domain CNAME is not pointing to Azure CDN.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

• Moved by vijisankar Wednesday, December 21, 2016 6:21 PM For better assistance
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Your approach was correct. You need to add the traffic manager domain to Azure CDN as custom domain. As you saw we validate the DNS mapping from your traffic manager domain to CDN endpoint. So you need to add this mapping with the traffic manager. Go to traffic manager, add CDN endpoint as an additional endpoint in your configuration. Note that Azure traffic manager doesn't support regional based load balancing today and this is in their roadmap. They only support RR, performance, Failover, weight. So if you want to use region based load balancing you need to use other DNS providers who support region based load balancing.

Manling

• Edited by Manling Z Wednesday, December 21, 2016 8:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 8:31 PM
  • You mentioned Azure Traffic Manager does not support region based load balancing but it states in the documentation clearly that Traffic Manager is used for such purpose and is able to filter traffic correctly based on geographic and route to correct endpoint?

Also, you mentioned my approach was correct to try to add traffic manager domain to Azure CDN as custom domain however I tried it and it was not accepted by the system validation. Is there a specific way to do it that would make the system accept this configuration?

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 11:59 PM
  • Hi,

Your approach was correct. You need to add the traffic manager domain to Azure CDN as custom domain. As you saw we validate the DNS mapping from your traffic manager domain to CDN endpoint. So you need to add this mapping with the traffic manager. Go to traffic manager, add CDN endpoint as an additional endpoint in your configuration. 

Hi,

Could you elaborate a bit on this please?

We're trying to use the azure traffic manager to send requests between two CDN endpoints. One is Akamai and the other is Azure CDN.

We've created the Azure CDN endpoint (XXXX.azureedge.net) and we've also added a CNAME record pointing XXXX.domain.com to XXXX.azureedge.net. 

We've created XXXX.trafficmanager.net with two endpoints, one is XXXX.azureedge.net and the other is the akamai edge. Whenever requests are fwded to XXXX.azureedge.net it returns a 404, though loading XXXX.azureedge.net directly works fine. 

We've tried adding XXXX.trafficmanager.net as a custom domain for XXXX.azureedge.net, but even though initially it seems to pass validation, when we submit we get the CNAME error.

Did anyone actually manage to achieve this?

Monday, January 16, 2017 4:33 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Were you able to resolve this issue? We are stuck in a similar sitation.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 1:50 PM