none
Lookup for External List Data RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to set my column list type lookup, the data from external list (CRM). I retrieved the data by using BCS.

Currently, the data not displayed.

Thank you.

• Edited by Ameenah Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:43 AM Typo
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Ameenah,

Sorry for delayed reply.

Per my test in my environment, if I create lookup column to lookup external list in one list, I can get all columns of the external list. My environment is SharePoint 2013 and the version is 15.0.4481.1005.

You could check if there are all the columns in the external list.

And you also could check if there is relevant information in the ULS log.

About the limitation in your post, it is in SharePoint 2010. If your environment is SharePoint 2010. There is no solution, it is by design.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Ameenah,

Did you create a lookup column in one list and lookup the data from one external list?

If you create a lookup column to lookup data from external list, there are two buttons beside the lookup columns. One button is “check if the external item exist” and the other is “select external items”. You could click the “select external items” button to select the items in the external list.

And you could check if there are items in the external list. If there is no items in the external list, there also is no choices in the lookup column.

If there is still no data in the lookup column, you could check if there is relevant information in the ULS log.

And you also could create external data column to get the data from the external content type.

For more detailed information, you could refer to the articles below.

Create and update an external data column in a list or library.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-and-update-an-external-data-column-in-a-list-or-library-44eff2c5-8051-489d-989c-f5d09f527aee

How to Create an External Data Column in SharePoint 2013.

http://community.bamboosolutions.com/blogs/sharepoint-2013/archive/2013/01/08/how-to-create-external-data-column-in-sharepoint-2013.aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 8, 2016 6:10 AM
  • Hello Sara Fan,

Thank you. But I still have a problem. FYI, my external list data is from Dynamic CRM.  Then, I want to retrieve the external list data into my dropdown column list in the different list. Example:

External List Data 1 name Sub Sector (Name and Sub SectorID)

External List Data 2 name Commodity (Commodity Name and CommodityID).

Both external list data are from Dynamic CRM and the data will be used in other SharePoint List.

Commodity is filtered by selected Sub Sector.

What I have done is create column list type Lookup/external data and get the data from External List Data 1 and External List Data 2. Unfortunately, the data displayed only the ID (Sub SectorID and CommodityID) as below.

Data from CRM

Then, i triedgoogle it and found  item no 11. Limitation BCS.

So, is it cannot be done? or any solution ?

Thank You.

• Edited by Ameenah Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:42 AM Typing error
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:39 AM
  • Hi Ameenah,

Sorry for delayed reply.

Per my test in my environment, if I create lookup column to lookup external list in one list, I can get all columns of the external list. My environment is SharePoint 2013 and the version is 15.0.4481.1005.

You could check if there are all the columns in the external list.

And you also could check if there is relevant information in the ULS log.

About the limitation in your post, it is in SharePoint 2010. If your environment is SharePoint 2010. There is no solution, it is by design.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:24 AM
  • If it is "by design", I wonder why there are pick-boxes for each of the fields in the external list which are able to be chosen at the time of creating the external lookup column? And I wonder why selecting anything other than the  ID field trips an error? Surely Microsoft would not be so clever in their design as to design an error and specifically restrict the functionality in that way?
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 6:34 AM