Azure Web Application Dynamic IP Assignment Caused Downtime- Critical RRS feed

• Question

• I had deployed the web application on azure web app with standard service plan. The web application communicates with azure SQL database to query any kind of requested data. Everything was working fine till last week but suddenly web application was unable to communicate with SQL database and throwing the following exception in log file on azure:

The underlying provider failed on Open. - Cannot open server 'XXXXXX' requested by the login. 
    Client with IP address 'XXX.XXX.XX.XXX' is not allowed to access the server. 
     To enable access, use the Windows Azure Management Portal or run sp_set_firewall_rule on the master database to create a firewall rule 
     for this IP address or address range.  It may take up to five minutes for this change to take effect.
    Login failed for user 'XXX'.
    This session has been assigned a tracing ID of '3b73faa1-8669-47f1-ade9-752d50eac494'. 

After doing it google i found two solution which works fine but i have some questions related to them, Kindly explain them

Solution 1:

Everyone suggests that allows the IP address on Azure SQL database under allowed IP address area, i done it and  it's work fine. But i have following questions in my mind related to this point:

1. Do i always need to allow the updated IP address on azure SQL database manually?

2. What is IP management behavior by azure ? how it change automatically ?and does it depends on subscription plan or not ?

Solution 2:

I linked my database resource with azure web app using Linked resource tab on azure portal, it also works fine but again i have some question related to this point:

1. By linking the resource do we have to face again this IP address issue or not ?

2. Should we must linked the resources whenever we deployed any new web application? or linked the resource should be part of deployment ? 

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 9:46 AM