Testing tools and plugins for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (desktop application) RRS feed

• Question

• We have a desktop based application, developed on c#, by using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. Now for automation testing to reduce the cost of retesting, we need to integrate a testing product with visual studio for SQA. Is there any Microsoft plug-in that can facilitate this or any software? Any open source will also be good.

That should support Unit testing, Performance testing, Functional testing and stress testing.

Kindly suggest Microsoft tools, plug-ins or any open-source solution.

Thanks.

• Moved by Lily_Wu Monday, November 5, 2012 2:30 AM relate to testing (From:Testing with Visual Studio Test Manager (MTM))
    Friday, November 2, 2012 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hi nortec,

About the SQA, I’m afraid that it isout of support range of VS testing forum. This forum will be better for this tool.

Actually the VS2010 has the feature for testing. You could check Testing Tools for different VS2010 version. The VS2010 Ultimate will support all tests, like the unit test, coded UI tests and load tests and so on.

I mean that if you want to test your app, you could use the VS2010.

The unit test: It is used to test the class methods.

The web tests: Web tests are used to test the functionality of Web applications and to test Web applications under load. Web tests are used both in performance tests and stress tests.

The load tests: When you add Web tests to a load test, you simulate multiple users opening simultaneous connections to a server and making multiple HTTP requests. When you add unit tests to a load test, you exercise the performance of non-Web based server components.

The coded UI tests: New feature in VS 2010, these tests provide functional testing of the user interface and validation of user interface controls.  

So you could select the appropriate test type to test your app with VS2010.

For detailed information about how to create the unit test/web tests/load tests, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182514(v=VS.90).aspx

For coded UI tests, refer:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd286726.aspx. Hope it could help.

Sincerely,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, November 5, 2012 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi nortec,

Thank you for your post.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Monday, November 5, 2012 2:28 AM
  • Hi nortec,

About the SQA, I’m afraid that it isout of support range of VS testing forum. This forum will be better for this tool.

Actually the VS2010 has the feature for testing. You could check Testing Tools for different VS2010 version. The VS2010 Ultimate will support all tests, like the unit test, coded UI tests and load tests and so on.

I mean that if you want to test your app, you could use the VS2010.

The unit test: It is used to test the class methods.

The web tests: Web tests are used to test the functionality of Web applications and to test Web applications under load. Web tests are used both in performance tests and stress tests.

The load tests: When you add Web tests to a load test, you simulate multiple users opening simultaneous connections to a server and making multiple HTTP requests. When you add unit tests to a load test, you exercise the performance of non-Web based server components.

The coded UI tests: New feature in VS 2010, these tests provide functional testing of the user interface and validation of user interface controls.  

So you could select the appropriate test type to test your app with VS2010.

For detailed information about how to create the unit test/web tests/load tests, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182514(v=VS.90).aspx

For coded UI tests, refer:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd286726.aspx. Hope it could help.

Sincerely,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Monday, November 5, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Thanks for reply.

My question is simple that is there any Microsoft QA automation tool available? MTM only support test cases. Kindly guide me if there is any Microsoft automation tool like TestComplete, QTP and etc.

Thanks

Nortec

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Hi nortec,

Glad to receive your reply.

Since this forum is to discuss the testing issue in the VS, I’m not very sure that whether there are other automation test tools.

But as my previous reply, we could use the VS as the test tool, like this article Test Automation Using Visual Studio 2010 Coded UI.

If you have to plan out your testing effort and run your tests as part of a test plan, you could use Microsoft Test Manager, but we could use the VS to record and run the Automated Tests, run your automated tests locally or use a test controller and test agents. See “Running Automated Tests Using Microsoft Visual Studio”. Hope it could help.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:16 AM