none
Backup Storage Used metric keeps increasing RRS feed

• Question

• I'm testing out Azure's managed PostgreSQL DB service for an upcoming project. I created a basic tier DB with 5GB storage limit and 7 days of backup retention. The DB contains very little data, 10 tables with few rows of textual information, using approximately 520MB of storage (assuming most of that is what PostgreSQL needs for operational purposes). Since creation 10 days ago the backup storage used has been increasing linearly, currently using over 18GB and counting. It doesn't seem normal for it to require that much backup storage, and I couldn't find any explanation/solution while digging through forums and documentation. As per MS tech support I was requested to post the issue here, any help is very much appreciated!

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Omerwase,

Are you considering your data or are you considering the entire database? Backups include the entire database, not just the database/tables + data you created. So, if you say 520Mb, I assume you are referencing the entire database footprint, not just your table + data? 

The 7 days is part of the service, and you have 5Gb of backup space available for the 7 days of rolling backups to be stored. If the backups should exceed 5Gb, there are additional storage charges.

Let me check with the product group to see what additional information I can find out. You do have an option to file a billing related support request, in the portal. This would be a billing related support issue and not a product issue, and would go to a different group. I am investigating a potential product issue.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:50 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Referring to the 520MB of storage used, thats for the entire database footprint ('Storage used' from the Monitoring > Metrics section on Azure Portal). The tables+data I've entered into the DB shouldn't be more than a couple of MBs. 

Indeed one of my concerns is the extra charges related to backup storage exceeding the storage limit of the DB. I just checked the 'Backup Storage used' metric again (Monitoring > Metrics section) and its still increasing, currently at 19GB. If you don't see any issue on the product side, I can open a billing related request. I will await your feedback before doing so.

Many thanks!

Thursday, May 16, 2019 4:18 AM
  • Hi Omerwase,

The only other thing that comes to mind are Server Logs, if you have that functionality enabled? If it is enabled and depending on what you have configured to capture, this might be contributing to the unanswered growth.

If you do not have server logging enabled, then I suggest that you open a Billing related Support Request. It is the best course of action. 

Regards,

Mike

Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:26 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Server logs are enabled, using the default settings, retention period of 3 days. Though I don't think thats the issue, currently there are 74 log files, with a combined size of 616KB. I'll open a billing related support request.

Thanks,

Omer

Friday, May 17, 2019 5:15 PM
  • Hello Omer,
    Do you have any answer regarding increasing backup storage usage? I have the same problem with my Azure PostgreSQL.

Regards,

Krzysztof

• Edited by dowlander Tuesday, May 28, 2019 12:17 PM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 12:16 PM
  • Hi Krzysztof,

No I don't have any answer yet, though I didn't contact the billing support as Mike suggested above.

FYI I created the db on May 4th, till May 20th backup storage kept increasing, toping at 25.3GB then dropped to 15GB on May 21st. Its seems to be cycling between those two values since, in sort of a zig zag pattern.

Regards,

Omer

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 1:15 AM