Unable to bind Report Model to Data Source in SSRS 2016 Native mode. RRS feed

• Question

• It looks like the latest release of SSRS 2016 Native mode is incapable of binding Report Models to Data Sources, if the instructions to be followed here are up to date; https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb283149.aspx.

When I go to the Manage page for a Report Model, there is no Data Sources tab.

In previous versions of SSRS native mode this was not an issue.

Is there a different way to bind Report Models to Data Sources in SSRS 2016 Native mode?

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Tyler,

Based on the deprecated features in SQL Server Reporting Services in SQL Server 2014, Semantic modeling language (SMDL) report models are deprecated. Although we can continue to use existing report models as data sources in SQL Server 2014 Reporting Services reports we should consider updating our reports  to remove their dependency on report models. The Report Models feature will not be supported in the next version of SQL Server. It doesn’t recommend use the feature in new development work and modify applications that currently use the feature as soon as possible.

Reference: Deprecated Features in SQL Server Reporting Services in SQL Server 2014

In other words, SSRS 2016 doesn’t support the Report Models feature, So, in you scenario, I'm afraid that we are not able to bind Report Model to Data Source in SSRS 2016 Native mode.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:15 AM
  • Thank you for your response Pirlo.

I'd like to suggest updating the verbiage in the link I posted to reflect this lack of functionality in SQL Server 2016 or later.

While I was aware SMDL models were deprecated as of the release of SQL Server 2014, the ability for them to function was still there.

Thank you again for your time.

Not sure if this is appropriate, but for those still looking to use SMDL Report Models in SQL Server 2016. As of SP1, running the following T-SQL against the ReportServer database will allow you to bind a SMDL model to a Data Source:

DECLARE @smdlPath nvarchar(425) = '/Models/Model'
    DECLARE @dsPath nvarchar(425) = '/Data Sources/Data Source'

UPDATE ds
    SET ds.Link = d.ItemID
    FROM DataSource ds
    INNER JOIN Catalog m
    ON ds.ItemID = m.ItemID
      AND m.Path = @smdlPath
    INNER JOIN Catalog d
    ON d.Path = @dsPath

• Edited by Tyler Webber Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:32 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:06 PM
  • Hi Tyler,

I ran into the same problem trying to run reports based on a model that I was not able to set the datasource for.

Thanks to your suggestion I was able to bind the datasource by running a query on the reports database.

But when I try to run my report I get the "The report server cannot process the report or shared dataset. The shared data source 'dataSource1' for the report server or SharePoint site is not valid. Browse to the server or site and select a shared data source. (rsInvalidDataSourceReference)" message.

The report's datasource points to the model.

The closest I could get to use the model was in Report Builder, by creating a dataset and then using the model and being able to build a report that runs, but then it is only possible to publish it as a dataset not a report...

Have you been able to run reports from the model at all? Have you got any suggestions??

Many thanks, Ben

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Did you get an answer?

David

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:29 PM