none
I have 3 workflows in my SharePoint List where the workflow starts when an item is changed. Only want 1 workflow to work per specific data element change. How do I do this? RRS feed

• Question

• Each workflow is based on a specific field changing but because I have the setting so the workflow starts when an item is changed every time I can something all 3 workflows run if all conditions are met.  For example, I have 1 workflow that sends an email to the Assigned To email address when the Assigned By and Assigned To are saved.  The 2nd workflow sends as email if the ticket is closed.  Unfortunately when the 2nd workflow applies the 1st workflow also sends an email although the Assigned By and Assigned To fields have not changed.  The 3rd workflow is to send an email to the customer if a 'Send email to customer' button is selected and the record saved.  This 3rd workflow will send an email when the button is selected, and an email will be sent for the 1st & 2nd emails too which is not necessary and is redundant.  How do I prevent this from happening every time I change something in the record.  I can send a print screen of the workflow if you like. 

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:18 AM

All replies

• Hi CatMN,

There is no OOB way to start a workflow based on a change in a single column. As a workaround, you could create hidden column to achieve this.

For example, I have a workflow that want to only work when the column "Status" change to completed. I create a hidden column "Status(hidden)" and make its value the same as Status. Then create a workflow like this:

Similarly, you could create your 3 workflows like mine.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything to update? 

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps. 

Have a nice day!

Best Regards, 

Michael Han 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, August 12, 2019 8:42 AM
  • I tried your suggestion for the Assigned To workflow. It's not working so I must have set it up wrong.  I'll try again. I have one question. When you setup the '(Hidden)' columns do you set them up the same as the original column, eg. Assigned To (People or Group type) or as Text?

Cathy Nix

Monday, August 12, 2019 12:47 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, the hidden column is the same as the original column. If the Assigned to is People or Group type, the Assigned to(hidden) should also be People or Group type.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going? Is there any update on your issue?
    I am willing to hear from you.  

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:29 AM
  • I was not able to get the workflows to work without sending duplicate emails. I did modify the Assigned To email to not send an email after the Issue Status changes to Closed or Cancelled. So thank you! But I removed the Send Email to Customer for now.

I also modified the Ticket-Close workflow to change to 2013 format but it's not working property now.  I added a step to log the event for workflow history.  I'm not very familiar with the Workflow History.  Still learning.   

Cathy Nix

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:03 PM
  • Hi Cathy,

Like you mentioned, you could use the action "log to workflow history list" to troubleshoot this issue.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Friday, August 30, 2019 9:38 AM