Questions Regarding Web Projects (ASP.Net) RRS feed

• General discussion

• For questions regarding any kind of WebForms project, such as ASP .Net Websites and WebServices, please use http://forums.asp.net/

These forums (forums.microsoft.com/msdn) are for Windows Forms (desktop) applications and services.

Development for the web is a very broad topic and differs in many ways from development for the desktop.  Because of this, Microsoft has a dedicated community for web development.  The asp.net website contains information about all aspects of web development, including not only Visual Studio related content, but also IIS, SQL, and many other supporting technologies.

Here is a direct link to the VB language specific section of the site:  http://forums.asp.net/36.aspx

Please join the asp.net community for the best response to .Net web development related questions.

-Edit Note-

There is a forum here at MSDN for Web Services and XML Serialization because these topics are purely about code and do not involve WebForms.  If your question is specificaly about Web Service code or XML Serialization, you may post it at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=46&SiteID=1.  However, you are still encouraged to use the asp.net website as there are more active web gurus there. 

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:58 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the updates :)
    Raman Katwal
    Monday, July 27, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Yeah, that's cool, but it would be nice if asp.net would be integrated with MSDN so that all development questions could go to the same community.  Just my $.02 worth.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Reed,

Is this sticky post your own decission or from Microsoft.

I find this sticky post very strange, because these forums are in the first place for the Visual Basic language which is in Visual Studio Net. 

Not Visual Basic Express

With Visual Basic in Visual Studio Net can be made project for Phone, VB for Office Applications, Asp.Net, Windows services, Windows Forms, WPF, WebServices etc.

For Visual Basic Express this can be a correct sticky post.

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Cor,

This post belongs here.  People need to know that this forum is not the appropriate place for ASP.Net related questions.  These forums concentrate on Windows Forms applications and services.  The ASP.Net community is better outfitted to answer ASP.Net related questions - the users over there simply do much more ASP.Net and so there is a much greater chance of questions being answered correctly.

As you noted after posting, this sticky has been up for a long time, and it is not without reason.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Scott,

I agree.  :)

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Reed,

Is this sticky post your own decission or from Microsoft.

I find this sticky post very strange, because these forums are in the first place for the Visual Basic language which is in Visual Studio Net. 

Not Visual Basic Express

With Visual Basic in Visual Studio Net can be made project for Phone, VB for Office Applications, Asp.Net, Windows services, Windows Forms, WPF, WebServices etc.

For Visual Basic Express this can be a correct sticky post.

Success
    Cor

Hi Cor,

This is not the Visual Basic Express Edition forum.

That is over at.>>

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvb/threads

This is one of the main Visual Studio forums for Visual Basic.Net that is within these six forum areas.>>

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/visualbasic

Regards,

profile for John Anthony Oliver at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Click this link to see the NEW way of how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7

App Hub for Windows Phone & XBOX 360 developers.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:03 AM
  • nice information ......thans for sharing.....

e
    • Edited by sanjay yadav Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:22 AM
    • Edited by Jundan Wu Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:03 PM remove irrelevant adverting links
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:19 AM
  • If you want the language to grow,

vb.net is vb.net 

In my opinion: It doesnt matter if you are writing an asp.net (vb backend) or a windows form or a windows phone project. 

VB is VB. 

How is someone who starts off in express to know what forum to go to?  There is so much lingo to learn, just be happy the language is growing.

Sunday, April 8, 2012 12:18 PM
  • If you want the language to grow,

vb.net is vb.net 

In my opinion: It doesnt matter if you are writing an asp.net (vb backend) or a windows form or a windows phone project. 

VB is VB. 

How is someone who starts off in express to know what forum to go to?  There is so much lingo to learn, just be happy the language is growing.

The target platform is critical; each platform has unique framework support and distinct best practices.  The simple question "How do I make a database table editor?" would have very different answers for Windows Forms versus ASP.Net (and different still for Phone7).  One of the most important difference for ASP.Net is having to maintain state... so againt the question "How do I pass information from one form to another" has a very different answer than "how do I pass information from one page to another".

If you are starting out with an Express edition of Visual Studio, then the right place to go is the Visual Studio Express forum related to the product you are using.

Sunday, April 8, 2012 4:09 PM